1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Unwanted Natural Harmonics!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Daco, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Daco

Daco

Feb 17, 2008
    Israel
    I have a Fender Jazz MIM.

Every time I play (with my fingers) an open A string over my pickups (both of them) I get a natural harmonic sound (F sharp or C sharp) in additon to the A sound. when I play on any other part of the string, that's not over the pickup, the problem is gone.

How can I fix it? :confused:

2. assuming your muting technique is up to par, you may need to lower the pickups a bit.

3. try a piece of tape over the strings- just behind the saddles, and/or just behind the nut. Could be sympathetic vibrations- I've got a guitar that's got bad sympathetic vibrations...

normal_EpiStock.

4. +1

Is the effect present when the bass is played without an amp, if not, it's probably your pickup height. Try it anyway, you have nothing to loose.

5. Daco

Daco

Feb 17, 2008
    Israel
    the harmonics are sounding even without an amp.
    but I found another way from this thread
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414470

If I increase the angle behind the nut withe my fingers (push really hard) it stops ringing...
    but I don't know how to hold this angle..

Although I hope to find some other way to fix it. I'll ask my Teacher/Repairman what to do and I'll post his answer here.

6. well when you wind the strings on the tuning posts make sure the last windings are at the complete bottom of the post to ensure a more downward angle

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    the slot on the nut is too flat (parallel to the fb). Try filing the slot with a steeper angle toward the headstock.

M