1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with 1st time build.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Clay_Bass, Apr 17, 2006.

1. I'm going to build my first bass soon. Im thinking along the lines of either a Gary Willis style bass complete with ramp but 6 string or a Fodera style fretted 6. My ideas for now are swamp ash body if I did the fretless or a maple/quilted maple top for the fodera. If you guys have any wood types you especially like let me know. I'm also thinking Bart Pickups either way active with an onboard pre-amp. I get lost at the Neck though so any help at all with building a neck that you could offer would be great. Im working with a friends dad who has got a top notch wood shop. He builds custom pool cues for a living and has built some baisic strat style guitar bodies and fitted them to bought necks. Anyways any help ideas you guys have to offer would be great.

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    you should start by researching like mad. probably buy a few books (some good ones are listed in the luthier's corner FAQ). don't forget to plan, plan, and plan. and when you glue wood together you need clamps galore.

even then you will run into problems. it's good that you have access to a nice woodshop (i have access to my school's woodshop which is real nice, since it's also my first bass). maybe the dude can help you out a bit, too. the teacher for the woods class is real nice and helps me out when i need it, along with his teacher's assistants. it's pretty sweet.

3. ok ive decided on a 6 string. Bartolini pickups/pre. Maple Fingerboard no inlays. I want a walnut main body with a maple purpleheart maple middle section. Can anyone offer tips especially on building a neck or a good book? Im going to do a one piece since Ive been playing bolt ons forever and Im definately going with two truss rods. Also do you guys have any websites that offer pricing on wood. A nice flame or quilted top might look really nice. Thanks. Also if anyone has any ramp building tutorials that would be cool.

4. i stumbled across this bass in another thread and messed around a little bit. I want it to be this body shape with the middle section mahogany,maple,purple heart, maple, mahogany Bart soapbars, Cocbolo neck (maybe lined fretless?)and pickup covers, a ramp between the pickups, Active preamp, Im thinking the back of the body should be ash with a middle line of mahogany then like birdseye or spalted maple on top. Has anyone built a body like this and could you give me some tips about cutting the back of the curve into the neck. Also does anyone know where I can order the individual bridges that are on this bass and come on like the Ibanez BTBs.
    I also dont plan on that many lines of purple heart(where I painted in the purple lines, I was just messing around)

[​IMG]

P.s check out the work of the guy who will be helping me with the project at www.dishawcues.com 5,000 dollars for a pool cue?!

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    $5k for a pool cue!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

that's crazy. but then again that's good for you, i get help from my school's woodshop teacher which is pretty sweet.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Just for the record, that bass is Mark Beems.

not really relivant to anything.

-Mark