1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with Amp choice?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bubinga5, Feb 28, 2008.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Hey people, i need a little advice. I have been used to a smallish amp size...90--150w ...Im wanting to buy a head and cab, but am a little confused as to what power i need. I will hopefully soon be playing live so need something that can cope. I have roughly £500 dont know what the xchange rate is?? (but would spend a little more). I wont be playing huge venues so nothing too big. Also if i got a decent size head could i go into the PA. Please explain. Me lost when it comes to serious bass amplification!!!??

Thanks girls/guys..

2. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    You don't need really need a head if all you want is to play through a p.a. All you need is a good preamp/di like a Sansamp BDDI. Then all you do is plug your bass into it and connect a mic cable from the pa to it. If you're look for a small rig that you can use w/o a pa, I recently bought an Ampeg B2-RE w/ a B410HLF cab. It's definitely not as good as some of your more expensive rigs, but it does the job. The head has a built in DI also so you can send a feed out to your PA if you needed to.

3. kickupthejam

kickupthejam

Feb 22, 2008
    Perth
    If you're on a budget, and want punch and flexibility, go a behringer cab and head. Behringer does get ripped into a bit, but some of that is just snobbery. They aren't great, but still pretty awesome for the price.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The most versatile setup would likely be a head with at least 300 watts and a cab that can handle it, perhaps a 2x10. If the head is rated at 300 watts for 4 Ohms, you'll want a 4 Ohm cab. Most heads have a DI on the back to feed a PA if available. This type of setup will allow you to play small venues without PA as well.