1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help with audition instructions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bleu Bass, May 15, 2006.

1. Bleu Bass

Bleu Bass

May 15, 2006
    :help: lovely smiley to illustrate my situation...

anyway, i'm supposed to go in for a jazz band audition tomorrow, and i have a problem:

my instructions are in band gibberish. since i'm not currently a band geek, i have no idea as to what the instructions mean. the one in particular that i'm having trouble with is...

"take two choruses of an f blues solo"

i understand a bit of it, but does that mean that i'm supposed to improvise a solo?

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I think so. You solo over 12 bar blues 2x. It needn't be freely improvised. You could prepare it in advance, but you should have it memorized. It would look funny if you were reading the notes.

Robobass

3. Bleu Bass

Bleu Bass

May 15, 2006
    yeah, that would look weird...

thanks!

4. a "chorus" is generally one round.. in this case, in blues, its the I-IV-V pattern twice.. i dont know what else was written on your instructions.. but if "2 choruses of an f blues solo" is later in the song.. you're probably soloing briefly.. if you gave us all the instructions we could prolly figure it out for ya

5. Bleu Bass

Bleu Bass

May 15, 2006
    that's really all they said about it...here's the whole thing:

they weren't really specific about anything...i just had trouble with the third. oh, and that reminds me.

does anyone have the tab for the 12 major scales in two octaves? i feel a bit stupid for asking, but i play from tabs mostly. the one octave major is obvious, but i'm not sure how it's supposed to be played from there...

6. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    well for one thing if it's blues you shouldn't play a major 7th, you should flat the seventh, in this case you would play an eflat instead of an e.

7. Bleu Bass

Bleu Bass

May 15, 2006
    thanx

8. learn to read if youre joining a jazz band mostly all your parts will be written out and you wont do much good with tabs. You should also learn some theory so you can do part 4 which is create a bass line from chord smbols because you need to know what each chord means like b5 or 9 or 11 etc

9. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Is there a pro teacher in your area? It sounds like you should pick up a Simandl book and spend a little bit of money on lessons. If you can't play all major scales in two octaves you should find someone who can lay it out for you. You might be musical, and I don't suggest you need to become a crack sightreader, but you ought to learn some standard scale fingerings ASAP. Otherwise, you will advance as a musician based on a technique you have invented yourself. This may sound like a creative approach, but in the end, bass technique is something that has been cultivated and developed over hundreds of years. Familiarizing yourself with conventional technique is very likely a shorter path to your goal, which is to be called a "musician" by other musicians. Am I right?

Robobass