1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP WITH AVALON U5 IN LIVE SETTING - ACOUSTIC GUITAR

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by pastorchuck, Sep 27, 2008.

1. pastorchuck

pastorchuck

Sep 17, 2008
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey All,

I know this is a BASS forum, but I was hoping some of you can give me some help with the basics of using an Avalon U5.

I got a used Avalon U5 earlier this week.

I am hoping to use it at our church service tomorrow morning.

Can you tell me how you set it up when you guys use yours?

I am playing a Larrivee 12 string acoustic with a fishman passive pick up. I will be going directly to the house through our P. A. system.

I'm guessing the instrument cable goes into the front panel in the INPUT HI Z input.

Do you know what boost level would work best in my setting? What is the purpose of the two buttons on the left front - HIGH CUT (ON) and SPEAKER SIGNAL (ON TO INPUT)? Did you have these on or off?

In the Avalon documents, it describes the TONE BANKS. Do you know which of the 6 works best with an acoustic? I am guessing you press the TONE (ON) to activate this control and ACTIVE (ON THRU) to go to an amplifier. Is this correct? Do I need to know anything else about these two buttons on the front right?

On the back panel, which input should the PA cable be used with - MIC LEVEL or LINE LEVEL and what is the difference? I'm guessing LINE LEVEL.

On the back panel, the PIN 2+ switch - should it be in the up or down position (UP - EARTH LIFT) or (DOWN).

I am sorry to sound like a dummy, but I want to know how to use this properly and all the info I have is unclear.

Thanks for your answers.

pastor chuck

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Plug into the Hi Z input. Connect to the PA with the Mic Level XLR connection on the back. If you push in the Speaker to Input, it will act as a mute button. When pressed this button allows you to connect the 1/4" jack on the back in parallel with a speaker and use the amp's output connected to a speaker as your input signal (you don't want to do this based on your OP). As for the gain setting, that will just take some expermentation. I usually run it between 5 and 10.

For bass, I usually press the Hi Cut button. But for an acoustic, you will need to experiment. When you press the tone button, you activate one of 5 presets. 1 and 2 are scooped. 4 is what I typically use which has a little mid hump and a treble cut. Again experiment. You may wish to go to the Avalon site and look at the Freq curves for the 5 tone settings. The Active to Thru allows you to use this at the front of your signal chain and be able to send the signal on to a preamp or amp input.

The U5 is top notch IMO.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Chuck, I'm pleased to see this is the same suggestions I PMed to you. We didn't get together on it, either.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So how'd it go?