1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by JAYBASSPLAYER2, Aug 6, 2012.

1. JAYBASSPLAYER2

JAYBASSPLAYER2

Jul 20, 2008
    Hi everybody, I've been playing electric bass for about six years now and just recently bought a palatino ve-550 electric upright bass, deciding i would try and learn jazz bass. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for switching to the upright. I've played it a little in the past but don't know to much about the technique and basics of it (at least the stuff that doesn't apply to electric bass), like how often i should change the strings, recommended readings, etc. Thanks for any help.

2. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    The best advise that I can give is to find a good teacher and take some lessons. Different teachers use different methods, but I like the Simandl books. Even though you are looking to play jazz, classical methods will help you learn proper technique. I don't know what the stock strings on the Palatino are, but a nice set of strings might vastly improve the tone and response of the bass. This is something that you could discuss with your teacher. Upright strings are expensive, but they last a long time and can make a big influence on tone and feel.

Good luck, and enjoy it!!!

3. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Hey
    How do like the Palatino? What's the difference between a 550 and a 500?
    How are the tuners? The Stagg (next model in that price range) that I tried had really cheap tuners that broke when tightened.

I studied online for a lot less then a real teacher but I'm doing bluegrass so jazz is a different baby.

If you can find a jazz teacher that lets you video your lessons and they intern video you back, you could probably get some good knowledge for less.

4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Man, I'd really recommend a live, in-person, gifted teacher in your area for at least a year, probably 3. I'm skeptical that doing it over the computer will give you the feedback you really need to develop good technique, and frankly, without good technique, your playing will be, at best, poor.
    There's a fellow here locally that a lot of folks like to play with who is self-taught. It shows very quickly while he glisses into 70 percent of his notes. He's got a really good ear but zero technique and if these folks ever play with Rufus Reid, they'd drop this guy like an envelop filled with white powder.
    That said, there's a world of difference between good teachers and bad, so post to TB for a GOOD teacher in your area. You can trust these guys; most of 'em won't steer you wrong.