1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with Fantasia by Thomals Tallis

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Enzo, May 21, 2011.

1. Enzo

Enzo

Feb 5, 2007
    Sydney
    Hi all, relatively new to this piece (and to the DB..) Having a hard time following the tempo, especially at the start, any tips/help appreciated

Many thanks

2. Are you talking about the Vaughan Williams "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis," or an original piece by Tallis himself?

3. Enzo

Enzo

Feb 5, 2007
    Sydney
    Paul, talking about the Vaughan Williams "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" - specifically, how slow is the tune to begin with, is a quarter note = 56? I want to practice it without the recording (which I have) can I set a metronome to that speed and play it? Or use this tempo to follow the score? I hope I am clear, thanks for the attention.

4. I would recommend listening to a recording several times while following the score, which you can find here. Most conductors tend to take a very "rubato" approach to the piece, so I don't know you should be looking for metronomic precision. That said, you need to be intimately familiar with the rhythms and the other voices so as to easily move with the changing tempo. Use your ears and follow the conductor as best you can.

5. Blakewdm

Blakewdm

Jun 17, 2008
    i think the most important stuff to pay attention to is when it switches from 3/4 to 6/8, and to recognize the 8ths stay constant through the majority of the piece(pending whatever your conductor does) it also helps to have a good leader, or if you are the principal, to place the notes, more often than not, a section needs someone to place things with confidence!

6. Enzo

Enzo

Feb 5, 2007
    Sydney
    is there a web link to understand how a conductor cues the orchestra? I know each conductor has their own style but are there commonalities, eg. the left hand usually keeps the tempo (I am guessing here)

Much appreciated