Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with internet access

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ok, so we just got a dell, and I set it up last night next to this computer. We use cable internet, and if I'm not mistaken, the cable modem connects to the computer with a LAN cable. The dell has a LAN connection on the back, but I'm thinking there's more to it than just plug it into our existing modem and go. Do we have to have something installed?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think you'll have to register your MAC address with your ISP. What ISP are you using?

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hub is correct in a way, but it depends on how many IPs your ISP gives out.

If it gives one IP, then you require a router.

A router is a better option anyway because it can protect youp PCs from the crap that -WILL- hit your IP segment.

Offtopic: I record ALL IP connections and a vast majority of it is trojans, port scans, all sorts of crap.

DCat

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I don't need them both on the net at the same time. The dell is going to replace this one. I tried plugging the cable into the dell and using internet explorer, but I couldn't get it to work. Something on the lower right toolbar detected there was a LAN connection, but it gave me some message like the connection being limited. Something makes me think I might need an ethernet card?

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    did you install the CD that came with the comcast equipment?

I don't have comcast but ISPs always have a CD that you install which "sets up" the internet connection

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The Dell has an built in Ethernet card, that´s where your cable goes in (the lan port).

Plug your previous computer back in, I don´t know what OS you have but if you are using W2K or XP, right click My network places/Network neighborhood select properties, right click the Local Area connection and again select properties.
    Scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select it and click properties. There you can see the IP address configuration. Write those numbers down and put them in their respective places on your new comp.

7. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks Ivar. When I do that, it shows that the option of automatically obtaining an IP address is selected, so there's nothing to copy down.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmm, ok.

As others have said... do you have a setup disk from your ISP?

9. Comcast provides a CD labeled" Give This to your computer."

That should be all you need. :cool: