Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with mac multitracking interface.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by deepestend, Feb 19, 2004.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I've ordered a new computer and I'd like to step up my home recording system. Previously, I'd been recording my rehearsals and shows on mini-disc and then transferring them via digital/optical outputs on my home md deck and an edirol 3d interface into my 333mhz g3 via peak and spin doctor.

this is all fine, but I'm ready to move on to multitracking my rehearsals and possibly shows. I've ordered a 900mhz g3 ibook and I have access to a copy of digital performer. I've been looking at all different systems and I'm just not sure what I want-- and unfortunately, money is not unlimited. If you have any advice, please give it. Here's what I"ve looked at so far:

tascam us-428: nice control surface, but sounds like it has trouble recording 4 tracks at once.
    M-Audio firewire 410: nice pre's, but ultimately it will only do 2 analog tracks at once.
    M-Audio Quattro: maybe a solution, but no mic pre's
    M-Audio omnistudio: looks good, just not sure.
    Motu 828: maybe the best solution as it has many inputs and pre's, only it's a little pricey.
    M-Box: would be awesome if it had more than two inputs.

Lemme know if you have any advice. My goal is to be able to simultaneously record at least 4 tracks.

J-R

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    You are deffinately looking at the right stuff. Obviously the MOTU piece is the best choice. The M-audio firewire stuff is pretty nice too, not as nice of converters and the I/O is not as exstensive but if it does what you need it too then.... If you feel like dropping some $$$ check out the Metric Halo firewire interface's. Nice stuff. I myself may be getting into the MOTU this summer as well, thought about the M-audio but I want the flexibility of the 828. Well have fun.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I use the Metric Halo where I work all the time, the 8X8 one. We use it to do remote recordings. It is pretty cool, everythign in that little box, pre's, phantom, and they have even made a little beta recording shortware tha tyou can download with it. It is an awesome piece of gear.

The only problem is if you run a big sofware program (like DP or Cubase) you have to have a lot of CPU. That thing eats it up.

John B

4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I just found a new motu 828 for $400 that I might go for... sounds like a natural for high quality recordings. I'll post my findings later.... that halo looks good, but very expensive. I wish I had more cash!

5. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Okay, made the plunge and just sent off a money order for the MOTU 828. I also found a used Presonus Blue Tube stereo pre that I can use for a lot of things. I'm thinking of using digitial performer for the motu. People seem to have good experiences with it, from what I've read. I'm psyched to get it up and running as soon as possible!

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Hell yeah. How did you manage to get and 828 for 400 bucks, if you don't mind me asking. DP4 is definately the way to go as far as software goes.

The new Mackie Onyx mixers have caught my eye. Firewire streaming plus a great mixer and pre-amps. If not one of those an 828 this summer, or both?

7. I was actually in the market for an external soundcard for my 900 mHz G3 iBook as well...I plan on getting GarageBand pretty soon...any ideas? All I really need is 5.1 optical out and maybe 2 mic inputs...as well as midi inputs (I'll probably buy some $100 keyboard for it). Thanks a bunch!

8. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Well, that's tough. You could go for the m-audio firewire interface-- that has midi and 2 analog inputs. Or look at some of the edirol devices. Actually, the UA-70 may do the trick:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua20.html