Help with Micro Tilt one Fender Jazz Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wino66, Feb 7, 2021.

1. wino66

wino66

Dec 28, 2014
    Hi,

I have a Fender Jazz Marcus Miller MIM. Early to mid 2010s. I've recently learned how to do basic setups on my basses. I hit a snag with this one. Thanks to this board, got to the micro tilt issue.

I searched to find something discussing the micro-tilt adjustment in detail but to no avail. Finally I found a Fender manual online. They suggest a quarter turn, clockwise. I did that, but I'm still not happy. Let's put it this way: it would certainly not be enough to re-install the original badass II bridge I swapped out because I couldn't get the strings low enough. And i still have a little too much buzz with a not terribly low action and a flat neck. Action is 5/64" mm on the G-string. Which is still a little high for me.

Anyone with experience with the micro tilt? Can I go ahead and adjust more? Thought I'd ask before I go and turn it another 1/4 turn. And another...

Also 22nd fret is a little high. I'll be doing my first fret filing soon.

Thank you for your help.

2. You have to loosen the neck screws to use it, did you? The ones closest to the headstock need to be just snug and the others, loose. Then turn the tilt screw, tighten neck screws and reassess.

3. wino66

wino66

Dec 28, 2014
    Yes I loosened the screws. Followed Fender's instructions. Thank you.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    If your saddles are bottomed out and the strings are still too high, you need to tighten the micro-tilt a bit. But if you have room to lower your saddles now, adjusting the micro-tilt will accomplish nothing.

96tbird likes this.
  5. You mention fret buzzing. Micro tilt won't help with that. It's essentially an adjustable neck shim.

Lownote38 and 96tbird like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022