help with my cabinet problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, May 21, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so last night i'm playing a show, and i turned around to notice my two top speakers in my ampeg 610hlf looked like they had lights behind them. like every once and awhile, they would light up.

i realize this is bad....anyone know about this?
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have blown out horn fuses in some of my cabinets before. I was aware of this by the bright light eminating like a flash behind the speakers. You may have blown a fuse, does the horn on your cab still work? how many watts are you putting to the cab?
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i'm not familiar with the cab, but here's a guess...............

a lot of tweeter equipped cabinets use a car dome light as a fuse to protect the tweeter. when the current to the tweeter gets on the high side, the light tends to light up before burning out. These light/fuses are typically mounted near the crossover, sometime on the back of the jack plate itself. I'm betting that this jack plate/light is located near the top of the cab and you're seeing this light shine through the surrounds of the top two speakers. ;)
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  5. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    From the Ampeg website 610hLF info page

"Cabinets using high frequency horns contain a variable level attenuator. To prevent overpowering and damaging the horns, a resistive bulb is wired in series with the horn for protection. "