Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with my future Ashdown rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguppy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hello Everyone!!

This is my first post & what a great informative place this is. I've learned more from TalkBass in the last 1-2 years than in many prior years of playing.

I'm in the process of purchasing Ashdown gear and made a few decisions to go with an Ashdown ABM410 (650RMS/900Program & 8ohm), BBE BMAX & QSC RMX power amp. Eventally, I'd like to add an ABM115 (300RMS/600Program & 8ohm) & RPM1 Preamp.

My question is in bridged mode the RMX1450 will put out 1400 watts @4ohms. Will this be enough to power the 410 & 115. Or should I spend the extra money & get the RMX1850HD (1800 watts @4ohms). I don't want to overpower the cabs if thats even possible but I also don't want to be lacking.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, just want to make a wise purchasing decision.

thanks

2. That would be more than enough power, in fact too much if you were to really crank it.

Im a strong believer in matching the power amp rating to the RMS rating of cab/ cabs.

I use the Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 and run it into two cabs which have a total of 700w rms. To me that is a good match as i will not blow my cabs with too much power and yet i am working the cabs well with ample watts.

I do not go with the idea that you can under power cabs and cause damage, clipping and too many watts will damage cabs not too few in my opinion.

So your power amp is ample for what you intend, as a guide look at the Ashdown power amp, that has less watts than the power amp you mentioned.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi BassGuppy, and welcome on TB !

My credo is that you will never use your power amp at more than half its power, so that your signal keeps distorsion-free.
    This means you don't have to fear having a power amp that will have more watts than the cab(s).
    Though, the ABM410 stands 600W, but the ABM115 stands only 300. Being careful would be to stay around 1,200 W, IMO.
    That's just MY personal vision of the problem, of course, and that's what I would do in such a configuration.

Cheers,
    JL

4. I bought recently, here in the US, the power amp from Ashdown (APM-1000 EVOII).
    I read the few specs and few docs that was available on the web and here. Spent the bucks (to American Music Supply).
    It arrived yesterday.
    What a disappointment. :(
    The pictures looked great, with the 2 vu and the metal plate... well it's all plastic, cheap plastic, no metal, chips of metal paint were left on my fingers! :mad:
    Plus on of the level button was broken. :scowl:

It went back to AMS today with full refund... I don't even want to hear about Ashdown anymore!
    Hopefully this is a one of a kind.

:rolleyes:

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    My Rackmount Ashdown ABM500 EVO amp which is chrome is not plastic, but rather very solid, well finished metal. It has been a stellar performer. Love it. No regrets.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Same for me : even my MAG-300R is metallic.
    And it rocks the house.
    Cheers,
    JL

7. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    Sorry but it is not one of a kind. I had a similar disappointing incident.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160355

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    That does it for me!! I'm going with Behringer.

9. The deed has been done!!

I went ahead & ordered the ABM410T & RMX1450. I tried out the cab previously several times & loved it. I'll just be careful w/the QSC until I learn the limits of the cab. Now I'm broke.

I'll be sure to post a pic or two when I get it. Shouldn't be more than a week. :hyper: