1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with my Warwick neck!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by seungkoo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    Ok so I recently bought a new 5 string streamer stage ii. Love it and the neck is straight as an arrow. It provides very low action. I live in Maryland and the weather has been crazy.

Today I tried adjusting the truss rod to give it some relief. I'm no professional and noticed the truss rod was very loose. Nothing wrong with it though. I was actually able to tighten it a bit and it turned great.

Should I just turn it all the way left? The neck is still straight when loosened. Or is it better to have some tension?

Or if anyone can recommend me a place to take it to a pro around Maryland dc area that would he great too. I just don't want to ruin a $$$$ instrument in the future

2. If the neck is straight and you like the action where it is, no need to make any truss rod adjustments.

If you want lower action, you can try tightening it a bit (gradually - a quarter turn is a big adjustment) and adjusting the strings accordingly. But it sounds like it's set up pretty well already, so there's really no need, unless maybe you change to different strings.

3. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    My worry is. Is it ok to leave the truss rod loose? Will it make my neck bow in the future? Or is it better to put a slight tension to keep it straight. Just a noon when it comes to set ups

4. rbbrchkn

rbbrchkn

Feb 25, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I agree, if you like it where it is, don't mess with it. The new Warwick basses ship with a removable two way truss rod, which adjust for both back-bow (normal) and up-bow (in case the strings don't put enough bend in the neck). Your truss rod is probably between those two positions, which is why it feels loose.

It's ok to leave it loose as well, if it buzzes when you play, just put the tiniest bit of tension on it to make it stop rattling.

If the rod is messed up, I believe you can just slip it out and put a new one in. But if it's a new bass the truss rod should be just fine.