Help with replacing pickups/preamp.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Boothozade, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Boothozade

Boothozade

Jul 18, 2019
    Hello! New here so bear with me.

So a while back I bought a used Fender Jazz 24 V. The guy who sold it to me had replaced the stock pickups (seymour duncans) with some Fender SCN noiseless pups. I have never really been a fan of these and they are not the sound i'm looking for so recently made a late night impulse buy and bought the EMG J5 set.

I believe my bass has the SD STC-3M preamp still installed but with just the Fender pickups wired in. Can I do the same thing with the EMG's even though its a solderless system or would this be a mistake? I do quite like the controls on the preamp and the slap switch is fun so I would rather not replace it.
    Any tips or suggestions would help, i'm not too clued up in electronics. Been playing bass for 18 years and have never changed a pickup...

2. Hey man,

I just scored a 24 V in flat back...been looking for one for a few months and got lucky! I’m also thinking of switching out the pickups. Mine has the stock Duncan Bassline that came with it. Not crazy about the tone of them, but love the feel of the bass.

Any luck with yours?

Brandon

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021