Help with unworking cabinets.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I have two 115 Yorkville Elite subs, they are both having extreme problems. They are used at a local bar where I work and need to fix them for Wednesday if I can, if not I'll replace the speakers. I am sure it is the cabinets themselves that aren't working correctly.

The first makes a farty blown sound but is usable.
    Is it the grill rattling? No.
    Is it the speaker not mounted tightly enough? No.
    Is there any stress/cracks/rips in the cone? No.
    What else should I look at?

The second does not work altogether, no noise.
    Are the wires disconnected? No.
    Battery test? Yes, it worked.
    Where do I go next?
  2. Sounds like a poweramp or cable problem to me if the non-working ones cone moves with a 9 volt battery.Try the amp with different speakers and swap speaker cables too.The farty one sounds like it may be blown,push on the front of the speaker cone gently and feel and listen for any rubbing.If it moves smoothly it's probably an amp problem.Just a few things to try,good luck.
  3. I already mentioned that I knew it wasn't an amp or cable problem, the problem is completely isolated to these specific two cabinets. I haven't any other speakers to test them with all the inputs should be working as well.

The one that farts, if I put a gentle amount of pressure onto the cone, the farting stops. I would assume this be a cone problem, but it looks in great condition.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Unless you have x-ray vision, you have no idea what the voice coil looks like. Even if you did it'd be very hard to see an alignment fault. Since you have two cabs, try swapping the drivers. If the problem tracks your swap you'll know the driver's the problem.