1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CarmenWilliams, May 18, 2018.

1. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    I'm originally a guitar player but now I play bass in a band. I must say, I love it. But I'm very new to the bass world. So I have a few questions:

I currently play through a Fender Bassman 250w/210 combo amp (https://www.amazon.com/Fender®-Bassman®-250-watt-Amplifier-speakers/dp/B001R2LYYG) It's great and I love it.
    I'm not really an Ampeg fan. I love Mark Bass amps but I think it might be too "clear" and crisp for the style I play (hard rock/alternative metal). So from what I've heard on YouTube (haven't played them unfortunately) but Mesa Boogies sound pretty good.

Now.. I'm thinking about getting a 215 cab (I want something slightly more powerful than my 210). Then a power amp. Then possibly the ISP Beta Bass DSP pedal (BETA BASS DSP™ - ISP TechnologiesISP Technologies) or the ISP David Ellefson Beta Bass DSP (DAVID ELLEFSON BETA BASS DSP™ - ISP TechnologiesISP Technologies).

I've also heard of the brand Trickfish.

Bass player sounds I like:
    Amos Williams (TeseracT)
    Kirkpatrick Seals (Flyleaf)

Should I just go for a mess amp and cab? Or the power amp route? Mesa is expensive but is it worth it?
    I have an orange 212 cab for guitar playing but do they make good bass cabs?
    Sorry for all of the questions!

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    If you can, get out and try before you buy.

Should I just go for a mess amp and cab?

Yes

Or the power amp route?

No

Mesa is expensive but is it worth it?

Yes

3. For a beginner you sure have some GAS but do you have money to burn?

Ideally you could get by with your combo and a line into the PA but there's always those Animal and SRV types and no PA help.

The Rumble 15 might work with your combo. Then you could sell the combo and get a new amp along with a 2nd Rumble 15 for the bigger badder boom when you have saved up some more.

4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Or buy once, cry once. Go for a Mesa D-800/D-800+ and be done with it.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Alternatively, change out the two 10" speakers for two 4 ohm speakers and wire them in series for 8 ohms.

Then add a 2x15 8ohm cab. Your 250w will be fine.

Set up the 2x10 combo vertically on top of the 2x15. Your amp has a lot of cool features. With more speakers you'll move a lot more air, better dispersion FOH and get more volume over all. Plus, you'll be able to hear yourself better since the cab will be closer to ear level and the stage volume will be more even.

Lastly, add an HPF to protect your speakers, tighten the low end and keep your sound clear, even at volume. Probably set around 80hz. You can always add pedals or a preamp to get break up if you want it.

Always go FOH to hear how you sit in the mix.

Check out the links in my Wiki mega thread (link below) for more great TB info.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    BadExample likes this.
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'm assuming you are considering a Mesa 800. Good, powerful, flexible, reliable. I have one. It's my second choice, and I carry it as a backup a lot.

Ok, but probably what you mean is "getting a 215 cab or something better than my 210 combo, and a power amp and a pre-amp—all at once, because without all 3, the 2 parts are essentially useless.

Which cabinets have you considered? Start there.

Welcome to Talkbass.

Stumbo likes this.
  7. CarmenWilliams

CarmenWilliams

May 18, 2018
    Thanks everyone for the replies.
    I'm definitely leaning towards getting a Mesa head and cab. Now here's part 2 of this thread:

I'm either wanting to get the Mesa Powerhouse 215 (Standard Powerhouse 2x15 Bass Cabinet | MESA/Boogie®)

Or the Mesa Powerhouse PH1000 (Standard Powerhouse 1000 Bass Cabinet | MESA/Boogie®)

Now I'm really confused on which head to buy. I'm leaning towards..

M6 Carbine
    Subway D800 (or +)
    MPulse 600
    Walkabout
    M-2000 (this looks like it has too many options for me to handle)

I have no idea which one of those are the best. I always prefer tube amps but I dont know how that relates in Bass world.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021