1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cyber Soda, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Hello, my name is Elgee aka Soda (inappropriate time for an introduction? Sure!), and I'm working on some simple mods on a Korean Spector, model of which I have no idea. I'm sure there are plenty people who don't feel that I should even spend this time on it, but I just like to make things, and these projects would be pretty interesting. I plan to make my bass some wooden knobs, pickup covers, possibly (but not probably) a wooden bridge, and a wooden ramp. I like wood... Any how, this is a p/j Spector, and that's what throws me off in all of this. I'm willing to take time out to learn techniques and everything, that's not a problem. Would a wooden ramp between a p/j be hard to make, or even require two parts? Oh, and what if I were to drop that, and make a wooden pick guard? That sounds like it would be pretty. Yes, this is for my personal pleasure and is only beauty related. I just wanna do it :hyper:

2. Hi Soda,

I don't know what a "ramp" is, in the context that you are using it, but I would say go for it. You won't get any money out of it, but I think you already know that. You just want to do it for the pleasure of working with wood. Which is why I build guitars, for the fun of it.

Do it, and take lots of pix. Who knows, you might end up making $$ after all.

edg

3. @guitar ed: this is a ramp:

[​IMG]

And @soda: sure, it's possible. Make a drawing first, like how you want to have your ramp and then, maybe you could first make a test piece from soft wood. By the way, you could make one between the J and the upper P element, shouldn't be any harder than between to Js I guess.

4. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    a ramp can also extend down all the way between the pickups, and just be a solid block in between them intead of just the thumb rest

5. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Go for it. Nothing you're describing is terribly hard, in fact I've made them myself and I've never worked with wood before. As long as you have the proper tools, patience, and plans you should be good.

Also, be sure to take a look at the "how to" section. Its a life saver!!

6. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Alright, well thank you everyone. I'm planning to collect some tools or go somewhere so I can get started on these projects. Another question, if I were to go and make the wood pickguard (yeah, I know. It's only for looks though.) is there a type of wood you would suggest? Anything that would greatly effect the bass' tone?

7. I would use a dense and hard wood for the pg, something like maple (or any other wood that's also suitable for a fb). Because you have to plane it down to about 2 mm and I think a more porous wood would probably break.

And I don't think a wooden pg could ever greatly effect tone, so I would just go for the looks!

8. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Thank you kindly Rob, I'm going to go get me some wood! :D

9. roberthabraken: I see a pickup(with a nice wooden cover), a very lond fingerboard & a lovely thumbrest, but no ramp, as I understand the term. Let me see if I can find a pic of what I thought a *ramp* looked like...
    Cyber Soda: It can be done- do it. Be fully prepared to fail, get back up & do it again- but do it. :cool:

Edit: Here you go(you too, guitar ed ;)- post #13: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532307&highlight=ramp

10. You're right. My mistake. I thought a ramp and a thumbrest were the same thing.. :eyebrow:

11. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    lol, of course. I don't approach anything without some idea of the fact that I'll probably mess up somewhere along the line. It's for the learning experience as well. Thank you Robert, and everyone else as well. Somehow I think my level of confidence was boosted :D