Helped a new player choose a bass today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Feb 15, 2020.

1. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I popped into guitar center today while my wife was shopping next door, just to pass the time. While I was noodling on a new player series jazz bass an older man walks up to me and says he’s looking to buy a bass today, limit of $500, and asked if I had any recommendations. This particular GC seems only have low to mid range Basses anyway, so nearly the entire wall fit in his budget. I asked what his background is, says he’s a guitarist wanting to upgrade from his Bronco Bass for playing in church. He showed me the few that had caught his eye and asked if I’d play them so he could hear what they sound like, and give my take on the pros and cons. The ones he liked were an Ibanez Talman, a gretsch jr jet 2, and a sterling SUB stingray. In the end, the stingray won. Can’t say he made a bad choice!

jonnybass1, GregC and two fingers like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Very cool. It's one of the few things I miss about working in an MI store. Getting a new player pointed in the right direction is fun.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021