1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Helpful thread: Power Supplies for unusual voltage requirements (15v, specifically)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soundsupport1, Jul 22, 2019.

1. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Hi all,
    I had a look here and there doesn't seem to be a thread that lists power supplies for unusual voltages.
    This came up because I use two Eden pedals, which are centre-positive 15v pedals. Along with six 'normal' 9v pedals.
    It took AAAAGES to find a selection of power supplies that would meet that need.
    So perhaps to save some people some time, here are the options I found. Anyone who knows of others, feel free to add.

Palmer PWT-12 Mk 2: https://www.thomannmusic.com/palmer_pwt_12_mk_2.htm?ref=search_prv_9
    8 9v outputs, 4 outputs variable between 9-18v. This is the one I ended up buying.

MXR M 238 Iso Brick: https://www.thomannmusic.com/mxr_m_238_iso_brick.htm?ref=search_prv_7
    6 9v outputs, 2 18v outputs, 2 outputs variable between 6-15v.

Cioks 'Cioks 8': CIOKS 8 – CIOKS
    4 9v outputs, 4 variable outputs between 9-18v. Not yet for sale, as far as I can see. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE CIOKS DC8!

Cioks 'Ciokolate': https://www.thomannmusic.com/cioks_ciokolate.htm?ref=search_prv_6
    3 9v outputs, 1 variable 4-15v, 1 variable 18/24v, 4 variable 9/12v, 4 variable 9-15v, 3 variable 9-16v AC. Pricey, but probably the most comprehensive power supply out there!

Those are power supplies, there are also power converters:

Radial Stagebug SB-15: StageBug SB-15 - Radial Engineering
    A buffer that also takes two 9v inputs and converts them into 1 15v output.

Best value is the Xotic XVD-1 Voltage Doubler: Takes a 9v input and converts it to either 15v or 18v output: https://www.thomannmusic.com/xotic_voltage_doubler_xvd_1.htm?ref=search_prv_14

If you go for the GigRig system, there is also a 9v to 15v converter (the 'El Paso'): High Current Power Adapter

Hope this helps!

2. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    I have a GlowPlug, and would LOVE to eliminate the wall wart. With the Xotic, do I need a special cable from my power supply, or will the standard cable work?

soundsupport1 likes this.
  3. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    The Eden pedals are, unusually, center-positive. You'll need a polarity converter: fortunately, they're avaliable very cheaply. I use a Rockboard Power Ace Polarity Converter: https://www.thomannmusic.com/rockboard_power_ace_polarity_converter.htm (it does say $33 for shipping though, but I can't search US shopping results on Google!)

Other brands are avaliable: I think T-Rex makes one too. Sweetwater has one from TrueTone, but the reviews seem to be pretty hit-or-miss whether it works or not.

Guitar Center also has the Truetone, as well as this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Godlyke/Power-All-Cable-Red-R-Right-Angle-Reverse-Polarity-Cable.gc

So you'll be going power supply - cable - xotic power converter - polarity converter - Glowplug.

Hope that helps! BTW, I'm not sure what the current draw is for the Eden Pedals, the wall wart is rated 400mA but that might not mean anything. But best to make sure your power supply is nice and meaty.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

Johno Dunn likes this.
  4. Did the Palmer work? I bought a Caline, didn't work with my 15v equipment. Also, have you tried the voltage doubler? Does it reverse the polarity as well?

5. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    The Palmer works just fine. Didn't try anything else; I needed a new power supply anyway, so just went for the Palmer. The nice thing about the Palmer is that it has indicator lights for each output. If it's green, all is well. If it's red, there's a fault with that particular pedal/cable/output. Lets you isolate faults pretty fast.

Also, Palmer is the house brand for a much bigger pro audio company, Adam Hall: Adam Hall Group
    So they know what they're doing. The Harley-Benton branded pedalboards from Thomann are just rebranded Palmers.

As to reverse polarity, see my reply to johno dunn, above.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  6. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Since the rule here is pics or it didn't happen: 20190725_102835.jpg The pedalboard from above. 20190725_102936.jpg The Palmer, showing that all is well. The yellow light is the power input. 20190725_102910.jpg The polarity converters into the Eden pedals.

Hope this helps!
    Peace,
    SoundSupport

7. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Do you know how much amperage the GlowPlug needs?

8. promdates

promdates

Jun 2, 2019
    Slidell, LA
    I should pick up a SB-15 for my radial device, but that also means that I need to get the proper cable for my Rat and then get another power supply to have enough nodes. I guess I could just get the X4 voodoo extender, it would give me enough to add the others that I'm still using the plug/batteries for.

Right now though, I'm just using a Voodoo 4x4. Really I'd need 7 minimum nodes to plug in to, and the OneSpot never worked right for me.

9. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    As mentioned above, there is no information anywhere about what amperage the GlowPlug needs. The nearest info I could find is the sticker on the original plug, which states that the plug is rated to 400mA. How much of that 400mA the GlowPlug actually draws is not availiable, and I haven't been able to find a customer support email address where I can ask. Maybe you can find out somehow.

That's one of the reasons I went for the Palmer over the MXR: the Palmer outputs are rated to 500mA, the MXR 15v outputs are only 250mA. I was worried about the WTDI and the GlowPlug not being able to draw enough current.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

10. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
  11. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    The final output on that is a 9v AC. That wouldn't work: the Eden pedals are DC.
    However, the two beside it on the far right - 9v DC 500mA, when combined with a voltage converter to 15v and a cable to reverse the polarity, would work just fine.

EDIT: Just seen that it includes a cable to reverse the polarity. So you'd just need to buy the voltage converter from 9v to 15v.

Hope that helps,
    Peace,
    SoundSupport

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  12. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    It does! Thanks.

13. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    So, I got the new CS-12 TrueTone, and the XDV-1 voltage converter to power the Glowplug, and unfortunately does not seem to be providing enough current. It powers up but the LED is dim, and the tube is not doing any of its magic. I think I might need to get the SB15 from Radial, and try that.

14. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Okay, so on a lark, I tried powering the Glowplug with the 18v, 100ma port on the CS-12 using the center + adapter, and it works fine. Don’t know if that is kosher, or if I stand to damage the pedal or the power supply, but it seems to be working fine. Please advise!

btmpancake likes this.
  15. promdates

promdates

Jun 2, 2019
    Slidell, LA
    I'm not sure about the Glowplug, but I know the Tonebone will take an 18v insert instead of the 15v that it suggests. Radial says "it will reduce the expected lifetime from 20 years to 18 by doing so."

16. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    I’ll be lucky to see another 18 years, so I’m going to assume I’m fine running it this way.

17. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Mind you, you're running a genuine tube 'hot' that way: I'd consider drilling a few holes in the casing, because the Glowplug has no ventilation and electrical fires are no fun.
    That being said, even touching Eden kit automatically voids the warranty.

I don't know enough about electronics to advise you further, sorry!
    Here's a picture of what the Glowplug internals look like, might help if you're planning to ventilate the pedal - you can see the tube running above the dials: eden-glowplug-interior-0bc87551.jpg
    As I say, I'm not an expert. Increased voltage decreases the lifespan of electrical components, but i have no idea what it does to valve-based technology!

Peace,
    SoundSupport

18. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    Thanks for sharing Sound Support! I want to build my first pedalboard and was already looking at solutions for my 15v Bassbone.

19. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Yay! thats the whole point of this thread!

you're welcome :)

Peace,
    SoundSupport

HCF likes this.
  20. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    I've been checking, and nothing is running hot at all. I'll keep an eye on it, but everything seems Kosher so far.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021