1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High End Dealers in DC area

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gilsonite, Mar 26, 2006.

1. I will be visiting the DC area, just wondering if there are
    any High end bass dealers in the area?

2. There are 2 exceptional ones. The first is our very own Jive's Jive Sound (jivesound.com). He stocks some AMAZING gear. The second shop is the much larger but much more main-stream Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. If you're headed down to DC, you can't afford to miss either of them.

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    TB's own Jive1 has a store.

http://www.jivesound.com

4. Jive Sound is hard rockin'

5. WoW,

Thanks guys, I look forward to check out both places...

Man, I love this forum....:cool: :cool:

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i live in NYC, but jong has treated me well. :cool:

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Without a doubt, Jive Sound is the place to go.

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I think you are obligated to visit Atomic Music in College Park. Its a big used-only shop. I've lived here all my life and never been there, but most people say it is great.

9. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I've been to Chuck Levin's many times and have bought a lot of gear from them. I think you'll be hard pressed to find better prices anywhere in the country, and their selection is prodigious. Seriously, if you were looking for a Stingray for example, they've probably got 20-30 in varying colors. Great service also. I'd be shocked if you can do better elsewhere.

I've also put my time into Atomic, and while it's definitely a must see if you're in the area, most of their gear is really beat. Cool place with cool people, but before you buy anything, really give it the once over. They will also trade and they're reasonable in what they'll give you in trade.

No affiliation with either.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Atomic is a must see. You never know what's going to be there. The higher end stuff moves quickly so it's largely luck of the draw. For example I picked up my F Bass BN6 for $1,000.

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Brad is my hero! Call me next time you see a deal that you aren't going to capitalize on!

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Holy crap!

I went there once, and was unimpressed, but I probably caught it on an off day. They sure do have a ton of beat-up stuff there... if you're not expecting a used-only shop, it comes off as being a pretty ratty place. But with deals like that, how can you not check it out?

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As Brad said, Atomic is hit-or-miss. The boutique gear is priced to sell, so it always disappears quickly.

It's not far from one of my bands' rehearsal spots, so I drop by from time to time. I've gotten some great deals there... rack stuff, mostly. They have good prices on strings, too.

P.S. There's a Guitar Center in Rockville only a few miles from Chuck Levin's. GC isn't exactly my favorite, but it has to be mentioned.

14. mondogarage

mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    There's also Action Music across the river, in Arlington, VA. Great setup work, decent prices, but thier selection is more guitar-oriented. Some real nice vintage Jags and Jazzmasters there now, for instance. They usually have a couple of 70s jazz basses around, but don't update stock on their website often. Still, it's a nice friendly shop with some real museum pieces.

http://www.actionguitar.com/