Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

high-powered heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Why don't you see any high powered 4 ohms heads? I only usually see high-powered heads that put out 700w or more at 2 ohms.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    wow that's quite a price tag. Thanks for the info.

4. My Carvin R1000 puts out 1000 watts at 4ohm. will be sold soon in favor of a pre/power combo though.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My Carvin B1500 puts out 1200 W @ 4 ohms.

6. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Now I know to save up for a carvin. I hate messing with pre/poweramps.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    But to be fair to yourself, you should try out the heads if possible and see if they have the sound for you. I like the Carvin heads I've used, but like all gear, they're not necessarily right for everyone . Since you're in Lawndale, you're probably within driving distance of a Carvin showroom. So I suggest going to www.carvin.com, see what showroom is closest to you (Covina?), and go check out the B1500 and the R1000 for yourself. You have an opportunity a lot of Easterners and Midwesterners don't--the chance to check out the amps for yourself rather than buy them sound unheard--so it would make sense to take advantage.

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, it depends on your preference. Your probably gonna want a stereo amp to run bridged at 4ohms. There's the Carvin's... but most are unimpressed with them. There's also the Ampeg B4R, SVT4-Pro, and SVT5-Pro.... All of which run at 1000W or more @ 4ohms, and will give you a better sound than a Carvin, likely.

B4R should be about $950 new... while the 4Pro and 5Pro are about $1300 new. Most people would recommend going used of course.

Also, I think there's a GK head that would give you the juice your looking for. The 2001RB I think?

Pre/Power setups are actually much easier to deal with than heads, IMO. If your unimpressed with your sound, you really dont have to spend so much money to alter it. Just get another preamp. And there's not much to mess around with. You connect the two.... take 5-10 min to set it to where they match well (if you connect them via 1/4" cable), and your pretty much set. Plus, you definately get more sound quality and power for your money.

But if you've got the coin... there's actually a good array of heads that will suit your needs.

And if you dont have the coin....... well.... a Carvin's a Carvin :p

9. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I love my sound, I just find that i'm battling at practice just to be heard against a 120w crate combo and a drummer with a very heavy hand.

10. The EBS Fafner almost qualifies with over 600w @ 2ohms. I've found this rating to be very conservative (it seems more powerful). As I do run a 2ohm load frequently I've also found it to be very stable. Compared to some of the high-priced esoterica it's a good value IMHO, especially if you can find a used blue-stripe model.

11. You could get a Yorkville XS800H. They should be selling the middle of this month! Tube pre amp, 600W at 8 ohms, 800W at 4 ohms, and not a big price tag for the power.

12. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'll take look at it. I doubt I would be dissapointed if I did try it. Yorkville tend to make great equipment. BTW, What's their going price?

13. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I have an old GK RB2000, which rates 1,000 watts at 4 ohms when bridged mono.

Of course, the GK marketing campaign back when it was first introduced mentioned the amps' ability to pulse 10,000 watts peak when it needed to... :eek:

Don't know the particulars about the 10K watt capabilities, but I do know that it can get prett-ty loud! :D

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The GK 2001RB can do 2*540W or 1180W + 100W for the high part of the biamp

lets not also forget the old Sunn 1200 - 1200Ws...

ususally, if you want more power than the ususal 500-600-700 W many bigger amps are rated at, then go for a pre + power setup.
    BUT you will most likely not need it. I dont think you will play shows that big to need it. And if you do, then there will probably be PA support and monitors, and you will be told to turn down all the time.

All this said, i1m getting a power amp for my Ampeg pre with 2*400W or bridged to 1140W @ 4 Ohms :eyebrow:
    Actually, I will probably only run it in 4 or 8 Ohms stereo

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The iAMP 800 is 800w into 4 ohm, and 1,000w into 2 ohm. Not too big or heavy, and very flexible. Another great option is the Walter Woods Ultra High Power, which puts 1,200w into 4 ohm (but doesn't do 2 ohm loads).

I have an iAMP 800, and it is truly quite impressive.

16. 600-650 American Retail. Not a lot for all the features you get!

17. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    my buddy who works in one of the local music stores, keeps telling me about the new kustom head. haven't checked it out yet but it puts out like 1200 watts (at 2 ohms) ,i want to say that it costs somewhere around 650 list and looks really cool. like i said i haven't heard it yet but it looks good on paper( now if it just didn't say kustom on it...he he) i have also heard good things about the new yorkville heads. personally i'm a pre-power kinda guy but to each his own. good luck.

18. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    The Carvin B1500 mentioned above puts out
    700w @ 8 ohms,
    1250w @ 4 ohms,
    1900w @ 2 ohms.
    $699.99
    And right now shipping is free with just a $7.99 "handling fee".

That's what I use and I love it. :)

19. Rich Piche

Rich Piche

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm all in favour for high power, but remember, for every 3db increase in SPL, you have to double the power. For a 3db increase with a 400 watt amp, you need 800, for another 3 db make that 1600 watts (you can quickly run out off clean power ........hence the need for P.A. support). :crying:

20. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Another vote for the iAMP 800. It's a beautiful thing...

And coming in October, the Epifani UL 902 that's 750w into 4oHms. 18lbs. 2 space.

Ahh... choices.

(and then there's always that Walter guy...)