1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

High Quality Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ross-tafarian, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Ross-tafarian

Ross-tafarian

Aug 5, 2008
    Well, last gig I played, the E string broke during the second to last song. Managed to carry on after ripping it out and bodging it a bit on a string down, though it sounded crap, to which I smashed up my bass.

Anyway, I've had it sorted out, and put a new set of Dean Markley's Blue Steel 105 gauge strings, and to be honest, they sound poopiee (especially when practicing without an amp). I originally had whatever came with the bass originally, until the E string broke, to which I replaced it with some Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys 105. That broke again, replaced again with some more Hybrids, until it broke, AGAIN recently. I'm considering replacing the lot with Hybrids again, as I was pretty pleased with them, however, I would like to know if there are any higher quality, longer lasting, and maybe even better sounding strings out there? I'm not all that knowledgable on the matter, so any info is a plus.

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've only ever broken one bass string in my entire life.....but anyway, I swear by DR strings these days. They cost a little more, but there is a reason.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    You might want to examine the bridge saddle and the nut to make sure there is no physical reason (like a burr) for your string breakage. If everything is well and good, then you just have to accept the fact that sometimes you yank that E string hard enough to break it. I don't know of any particular string that is more resistant to breakage from overstress. The only remedy might be to go to heavier gauges. But any set with an E heavier than .105 might be a special order/custom configuration.

4. xanderjbass

xanderjbass

Jul 19, 2008
    Los Angeles
    scottbass is right, there might be some reason that your strings have been breaking more often than is normal. That being said, I dont know what styles of music you are playing but a lot of people swear by la bella's esp for motown style flatwounds. However they can run like $80 a set. Personally I use Ken Smith Rock Master Mediums (.45-.105) and they are the best I have ever played ($24) They Ernie Ball hybrid slinkys should be fine too

5. Ross-tafarian

Ross-tafarian

Aug 5, 2008
    At the moment, I play for a black/doom metal band, though I'm looking to do my own industrial based stuff some point. I do play pretty hard!

In terms of my bass, it's merely a crappy Crafter Cruiser, though I've recently just bought a Fender J-bass (will post pics when it arrives), so I'm hoping the set up on that should be a lot more robust.

6. Steve Zapp

Steve Zapp

Sep 10, 2008
    I use to use elixers but now im bent on Cleartone. The coating doesn't shed as much as the elixers.

7. whereeaglesdare

whereeaglesdare

Aug 13, 2007
    without a doubt you need to try the DR Lo-Riders stainless steel strings. they last a while and sound great, worth every penny. do yourself a favor and try them

8. Ross-tafarian

Ross-tafarian

Aug 5, 2008
    Cheers for the recommendations, I'll definitely have a look for some of them. Ideally I'd like to find a bass with any of the mentioned strings already set up on it, and then try it out from there. Though, I doubt I'll be able to find one, so I'll just buy and try then.

9. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I concur with the others here about checking the nut and saddle on your bass. E strings shouldn't break, and certainly not repeatedly like that. Ernie Ball strings are fine enough quality - think of all the abuse they take when being slapped and popped on an Ernie Ball Stingray!

Where does the string typically break at?

10. Ross-tafarian

Ross-tafarian

Aug 5, 2008
    First time it was up at the nut, the other times were down at the bridge.