1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hillbilly's guide to setting your own soundpost

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Spanky123, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    IMG_0780.JPG
    Around here in these hills, we ain't got no high-falutin' luthier to set our soundposts for us. You gotta ride down to Salt Creek and git yourself a meat skewer from the general store. Tie a piece of string onto the post because you're likely to drop it a lot. Lay the bass down on the bed. It's best to do it in the afternoon when the sun is high with a lot of natural light to see through the f-hole. Mark the longest end of the post with a pen so you know to get it positioned straight. Slip the post through the small hole and prong that sucker from the side with the meat skewer. Spend the next hour or so dropping it twenty or thirty times as you try to get it in the right spot. Settle for good enough and open another jug. Time for the hoedown.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Dug2, jsf729, ColdEye and 2 others like this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Git 'Er Done!
    [​IMG]

3. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Actually, your "meat skewer" is too short; I use a weiner roast fork. And instead of a ribbon around the soundpost I glue a small metal washer to the post and use a magnetic fetch from an auto-supply store to fish out the post when it drops. Works!

Tom Lane likes this.
  4. Or you could just tie a two-foot length of thread around the post like people have been doing for who knows how long. It still works.

I set posts with my fingers and the business end of a French bow, but I really should get one of those Dr. Octopus-looking bolt retrievers. They work great.

Spanky123 likes this.
  5. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I used the sharpened end of a length of coat hanger wire to skewer the post, a really long shoelace, and I thread a set of white Christmas lights into the opposite f-hole. Was taught this (well, not the Christmas lights) by a luthier that has the correct soundpost tool but still prefers the coat hanger wire.

Spanky123 likes this.
  6. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    I wonder if the metal washer helps the tone? maybe it give a little sustain.

7. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Probably not the washers I use, which definitely skew toward the small sizes. I want a washer just large enough to draw the attention of the retriever magnet.

8. I would not like that weight on my sp. But I am perhaps a bit obsessive, or what is the word...

9. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    That's the word—or one of them, anyway.

10. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    And how much weight do you think is involved? These washers can size really small. Negligible weight.

11. Yes perhaps I am a bit stupid, in that I would rather hold my bass upside down and try to roll a SP out of one the f-holes. It's been a while though...

12. Ortsom

Ortsom Inactive

Mar 23, 2016
    I'm with Povl on this, at least with one of them. It's true, we are now arguing about something so minute that it is likely not to disturb the hoedown in them there hills, but I don't see the point. You juggle the bass a bit, and I'd be surprised if I don't have the thing in less than 30 seconds, with my fingers or just dropping out. Or use a stick with a bit of sticky tape, that works too.

13. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    me, whell....im a city slikker the whole time, but i do enjoy hillbillies sum!
    sum call it a sling blade, i call it a kiaser blade, mmh hmm

14. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    The hillbilly's best method for setting a "post" is to get the wife to do it.

hqdefault.jpg

15. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Formerly known as "the cousin".

bassdude51 likes this.
  16. That far removed? Maybe where you live...

Don Kasper likes this.
  17. That is too far from the bridge

bassdude51 and HateyMcAmp like this.
  18. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Southwest version:

"Soundpost setters?

We ain’t got no soundpost setters!

We don’t need no soundpost setters!

I don’t have to show you any stinking soundpost setter!”

bassdude51 likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021