1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hip hop bands (with instruments)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cossie, Jul 30, 2009.

1. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hey,

I've been a long time fan of hip hop, and especially bands with live musicians - most notably The Roots.

And I was wondering if anyone gigs in a hip hop band, and how it all works out. In Ireland there isn't a huge scene for hip hop (or at least I haven't found it!) but there are some great acts like Scary Eire, Messiah J and The Expert and most recently The Infomatics.

Cheers

Cossie

2. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Probably gonna audition for one on Saturday. Just for a two-month sub gig, though.

3. Mr 600

Mr 600

Jun 11, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Never played in one, but I'm going to see Atmosphere on Saturday, and they use a live band.

4. The Beastie Boys are great when they play live instruments.

I've seen a few local hip hop bands with drummers and bassists, always sounded pretty good.

5. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    I play in a hiphop band. We have a keyboardist, drummer, guitarist, DJ, and bassist. We sound a lot like Everlast or House of Pain, don't know if you consider that pure hiphop.

6. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    That's how my band is. We've got an MC and keep it real funky. We went the way of sounding more like Funkadelic, The Roots, James Brown rather than the rap metal of the mid-90's. Real danceable stuff.

We started with one tight drummer, bass and keys and have expanded to two drummers (one switches off to hand percussion from time to time), keys, guitar, synth, bass and sometimes brass. There aren't many other bands like us in the scene, so that helps...you can't screw it up too bad if there isn't much of a comparison.

- Shot on a FlipCam...Sound is really bad

7. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I almost auditioned for this local act but then I chickened out: :bag:

http://www.myspace.com/thehighdecibels

They rock. And some beer co. used one of their songs for a Superbowl ad!

Props

--Bomb :bassist:

8. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I don't play in one, but I'll recommend Heiruspecs. They, along with the aforementioned Atmosphere, are local band in the Twin Cities, so I see them a lot. Plenty of free shows here.

9. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess the best way is to pay closer attention to what those bands do and to try get a group of fellow hip hop / rap fans together so we can form our own band.

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    This is one of my favorite local groups, particularly because the live instruments are fantastic:

http://www.myspace.com/thepressproject

they have some live videos up there from bonnaroo that sound pretty good.

The drummer and bass player also play together in another band that's in the alternative/indie area. Very tight pair they are.

11. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland

indeed, in the past when ireland didnt have so much "ethnic diversity" you'd be hard pressed to form a hip hop "band" but now it'll be much easier. i'd love to form a covers band doing snoop, dre, quest etc for the laugh.

oh and if you want more irish hip hop check out the now defunct Just A Word from norn iron....they had some great tunes.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I like playing along to this type of music, and I think more progressive and forward thinking hip hop artists tend to benefit greatly from a live band / programmed track collaborations.

I admit I don't know too much of real underground hip hop and what is going on outside the slightly out of mainstream, but I think it's cool and has tons of potential. There are alot of artists I can think of withinn the mainstream that pull it off well (Maxwell, Talib, Common, Kanye, Roots, Madlib, Tribe & J5 [i think] etc..) I have flirted with the idea myself of getting in with a live hip-hop type setting...would a 38 year old bassist fit in that setting? I can hold it down, but don't want to look like an ass. I just think it's more exciting than "pumping 8ths" in a RAWK band...

13. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Yeah I was thinking a hip hop / funk covers band would be a good fun. Meeting a guitarist mate of mine on Monday for a jam and I'm going to through the idea out to him.

Have you checked out irishhiphop.com ? There's a mixtape section with some good stuff there but unfortunately a couple of the earlier links are dead. Not necessarily all instruments, there are a lot of samples and programmed beats.

14. TSkills

TSkills

Jul 1, 2009
    Check out The Dirty Heads also. They're a great instrumental hip hop band with some reggae/rock influences.

15. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Heres a clip from my band opening for Redman and Method Man. I love playing in a live hip hop band. You play pocket, but theres a little room to improvise and have fun with it. This is probably my fav band of all that I play with, right now at least

16. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    ah, just noticed this is a year old thread lol