1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hipshot Ultralite question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cheapimitation, Jul 26, 2012.

1. cheapimitation

cheapimitation

Mar 23, 2007
    I just purchased 5 Hipshot HB6 tuners, have not yet installed them, and all but one of them has pronounced variation in the resistance felt when turning the key, as if one of the gears was slightly elliptical. For example, turning the key 1/2 a turn feels normal, then suddenly for the next 1/4 turn the resistance lessens and the key turns much faster with the same amount of hand force applied. Is this normal, and/or should it disappear when installed with strings providing tension? I'd rather not install them if it is something that warrants a return.

Thanks

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry. Just think how many of them are slapped on basses at various makers these days. They don't have time to admire them before installing them.;D

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's been my experience, but I find Gotoh Res-O-Lite 350 tuners to be much smoother and weigh even less than Hipshots.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I always loosen then re-tighten the tensioner screw (cap, requires a hex key) to fine tune the "resistance". Yes, it will even out once string-loaded. If you happen to break something...and it has happened...just contact Jason Ungelich and/or crew at Hipshot for replacements or tech support. Best CS out there! Try that stunt with any other manufacturer and let me know how it goes.

Riis

5. cheapimitation

cheapimitation

Mar 23, 2007
    Thanks, that's good to hear... I'm not uber-picky, just wanted to find out if they will smooth out when installed.

6. they are awesome. I had a problem with a bridge not too long ago, and they sent me a replacement before I even send the defective one back. As long as they keep up the good service, I will only buy Hipshot hardware.....

(I don't work for them or affiliated in any way)