Historical Excerpt Lists

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by dfcj, Apr 22, 2014.

1. dfcj

dfcj

Apr 22, 2014
    Hiya

I'm doing a piece of work on bass playing over the years, and was wondering if anyone out there has any past orchestral audition excerpt lists?
    I'm talking as old as possible, and up to about 2000?

Bit of a strange request but let me know if anyone can help

2. Yayyemen

Yayyemen

Nov 17, 2010
    Something my teacher always tells me when I complain about "lists" for auditions is when he took them in the 70's/early 80's there were 3 things on it. Solo bach, concerto, and sight reading. You just had to practice as many things as you could get your hands on and hope they put one up you really knew

dfcj likes this.
  3. dfcj

dfcj

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks!
    I was expecting something along those lines, as in auditions becoming a lot more refined over time

4. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design Endorsing Artist
    I've seen copies of old lists, but I don't have anything in front of me to quote from. Lists from the 70's and 80's tended to be quite a bit shorter, but not necessarily what "Yayyemen" describes. Things like Beethoven 5 and Brahms 1 have been standard for ages. Probably the most striking difference were solo options. Back then, it was typical to ask just one "solo of choice." At that time, things like the "Dragonetti" Concerto or the Eccles sonata would have been much more common.

dfcj likes this.
  5. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    When one of the section members in Cleveland, Scott Haigh, auditioned for his job (in 1978), his audition was a solo and "Standard Excerpts from the Orchestral Repertoire". Seems that was pretty standard back in the day...

6. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design Endorsing Artist
    To be fair, this is still standard in Europe and most of the rest of the world.

Orchestras in the US get to be much pickier about their selection process. There is an excess of great bassists looking for work, and not much work to be had. That wasn't the case 35 years ago.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021