1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner 500/1 & Flats - Where's the grip??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nula, May 7, 2010.

1. nula

nula

May 4, 2007
    I'm a new player (on bass) and finding it often tricky to play with the flatwounds.

My fretting hand fingers just want to slide over or along the target string, rather than plonk on it firmly. They are smooth as glass.

What am I doing wrong?

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    You will get used to it.

3. nula

nula

May 4, 2007
    Well, thanks, but that could be the answer to almost any question. I was kinda hoping for something more concrete..

4. thedrones

thedrones

Nov 19, 2009
    los angeles
    I don't think your doing anything wrong, per say. I play a Hofner with flats too, and I tend not to ever take my fingers completely off of the strings. I keep in light contact with the strings and kind of slide on them until I get to the note I want to play, and I can play a lot faster like that. So, maybe try to change your technique up so you can use the slippery flats to your advantage.

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Listen for the note, don't look for it on the fingerboard. Once your ears and fingers are in harmony, you'll pinch down in the right place all the time.

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    It just takes some practice.

Rounds are even more slippery.

7. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I've noticed this to be the case sometimes. You would think that flatwounds would be more slippery than rounds, but I tend to stop where I need to just as good or better on flats than on rounds. Go figure, huh?

8. I like the quiet slipperiness of flats. It's something that I got used to right away. Give it a little bit of time and you, too, will never go back to rounds again!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well how are we supposed to know what you're doing wrong?

that's the correct answer...you'll get used to it. or not.

10. nula

nula

May 4, 2007
    Well, I suppose you do what I do when I give advice to newbies on other boards. You hazard your best guess based on experience you have and the OP doesn't, like most above have done (thank you!). I usually don't find it that hard.

Or maybe you think I should 'do a Google'.....:meh:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    well my 35 years of experience tells me that people either like flats or they don't. but just to keep myself honest, i looked on google for you, and google says you have the choice of keeping them and getting used to them, or ditching them and using rounds.

google also tells me that if you keep sliding past the point where you want to go, you should probably practice sliding some more...maybe even practice stopping at the exact fret you want. now don't go by my 35 years of experience, but i couldn't find this next part on google and i had to make up an answer...i'm told that allowing yourself to get used to a new set of strings along with practicing almost always cures any problems with strings. if after some time, like a month, you don't get used to them, then i'd try something else.

any other questions you need overexplained? :p :spit:

12. bunny10

bunny10

Mar 11, 2006
    This was a good explanation, but I would suggest that the OP try them for at least 6 months. I would also suggest that the OP practice 2 hours each day for those 6 months. The best type of music to try when trying to get used to slippery flats in my opinion would be some Bach or Beethoven type music.

Hope this helps.

13. Noted similar when I first got into Flats. These days I note the opposite when I use Rounds.

The reason seemed obvious to me, but sometimes things that seem obvious to me aren't so to others. What's going on is your fretting force isn't perpendicular to the string, & the 'waste' parallel (to the string) portion of that vector is causing you to slide past the desired resting point.

Only ways to get past that are to fret more perpendicular to the string or to counteract the waste parallel vector. In a word; practice.

14. nula

nula

May 4, 2007

35 year's experience, and totally uncalled for sarcasm, rudeness and 'do a Google' is the best advice you can give?? Obviously still not quite experienced enough.

Here's some advice for you - if you don't have a decent answer to the question (see other members' concrete and valued suggestions for an example of decent answers), why not just go flame another thread?

Now, where's that 'ignore' button...?

15. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average

May 2, 2010
    I have only 30 years of bass playing experience and have been using flats exclusively for the last 12, so I still have a lot to learn.

Rude or polite, all the advice you need has already been posted in this thread.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    boy, what a hostile dude you are. hey, don't blame me if you don't like the correct answer. what were you looking for? someone to tell you how to like flats? either you do or you don't.

calm down, dude.

17. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Jimmy, You're just mean spirited... That's why I like you. :)

OP: Flats are smooth. It's true you will have to get used to them. It doesn't take long.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    of course! i'm entirely lovable!

19. nula

nula

May 4, 2007

Thanks, and fine - but excuse me if I don't appreciate rude advice. I'd rather not have any. Call me old-fashioned if ya like.

20. nula

nula

May 4, 2007

Hostile? The hostile came from you, dude. I give as I get and ain't nobody's doormat, newbie or not.

If you don't like it coming back at you, what can I say, but 'you'll get used to it....' :)

But sincerely, I do appreciate the constructive advice I got from most and it helps me a lot.

Edit: forgot to say - 'Peace' and can we move on, my friend?