1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner bass Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BenDMD, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BenDMD

BenDMD

Jan 15, 2019
    Hey guys,

I am having trouble dating this Japanese Hofner 500/1 Bass. I believe the serial # is 06916 but I could not find any results with that. The pickguard doesn't look original and the headstock logo appears to be missing.

I am not an expert so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me

Thank you,
    Ben

Attached Files:

HaphAsSard likes this.
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Look at the pots for date codes.

3. BenDMD

BenDMD

Jan 15, 2019
    I do not have the guitar, just these pictures to go off of

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    This is not a Hofner. It's just an inexpensive knock-off. You'll never be able to determine when it was made.

TD

rockinrayduke likes this.
  5. BenDMD

BenDMD

Jan 15, 2019
    wow, how can you tell it's a knock-off?

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Two things, mainly:
    1. The neck plate says "Japan"; Hofners are made in Germany (or, in the case of their less expensive models, in their factory in China).
    2. The neck plate itself. Hofners are set neck instruments - like a violin. They don't have neck plates...
    And, just about everything else screams "Knock 0ff!" The head stock; the tuners; the controls; the tailpiece ; and especially that bizarre bridge. It might be a well made, nicely playing bass, but - it's not a Hofner...;)

7. BenDMD

BenDMD

Jan 15, 2019
    Wow I've never seen a knock-off guitar where they stole the brand name too. How can that even be legal?

8. BenDMD

BenDMD

Jan 15, 2019
    Thank you for your help

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    You're more than welcome. And, speaking of welcome - welcome to Talk Bass.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Who’s going to stop them?

TD

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I just about fell off my chair I was laughing so hard at the bridge on this bass. Clever bit of DIY, but rather humorous.

I had a Japanese knock-off very much like that one. The brand was Pyramid. It had the same triangular truss rod cover, bolt-on neck,. same weird looking tuners. In this case someone has added Hofner to the headstock and 500/1 to the trussed cover. The person who made the bridge is probably the one who added the washers around the tuner posts too.

rockinrayduke, 96tbird and HaphAsSard like this.
  12. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Also, there was briefly a line of Hofners made in Spain in the 1960's.

This is clearly not a Hofner. Just about everything on it is wrong.

13. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    There were maybe dozens of Japanese knockoffs, some with brand names, some without. I had one with no name. It worked fine but was extremely neck heavy. Real German Höfners are light as a feather (OK, less than 5 pounds anyway) and have distinctive branding and hardware that are not present on copies. Of course, branding and hardware are easy to change and apply to a knockoff, but not here. There's a terrific coffee table book on the Höfner "Beatle Bass" that will help you identify the real thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Hofner-Compl...F8&qid=1547652481&sr=1-1&keywords=Hofner+bass

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

That intonation system is fascinating.

15. Though it is not a Hofner bass some 60's made in Japan knockoffs are collectable to some folks and if it is rare it maybe worth something. You should try to find out as much as you can about it before completely dismissing it imo as mention the intonation system isn't like anything I have ever seen.

16. BenDMD

BenDMD

Jan 15, 2019
    Yea it still looks like a nice guitar. How can you date a knock-off? I don't have any information on the guitar besides what you can see in the pictures

17. this is my best guess judging by the tuners and the screws used and the neck plate stamping
    the location for the name plate missing from that one also looks to be on the correct angle
    bridge mods are after market diy stuff this one I found is going for 250.00 US compared to the seller you are looking at and yes I located it :)

upload_2019-1-16_17-10-15.png upload_2019-1-16_17-10-56.png upload_2019-1-16_17-12-59.png upload_2019-1-16_17-13-44.png

BenDMD likes this.
  18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    May not help, but always a fascinating browse:

violin bass gallery

BenDMD likes this.
  19. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'(

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    About every fender style parts bass I’ve ever seen has a fake fender waterslide logo on its headstock

20. BenDMD

BenDMD

Jan 15, 2019
    Yep that's gotta be it. $250 aint bad, the guy on ebay wants 650