1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Ignition Bass Mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mitsuji Kuroda, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Mitsuji Kuroda

Mitsuji Kuroda

Jul 4, 2019
    I was wonder will the german made hofner tailpiece work on the hofner ignition bass? I noticed the hole for the strap holder is different. Will I be able to drill for the new hole or is it not recommended?

Ive attached some photos, the picture from thomann is the germany made and the picture from north coast is the ignition tailpiece

Attached Files:

2. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I guess you can drill if you want to. Make sure you get the violin bass tail piece and not the Club bass, I think the Club is shorter. May be the angle, but the one on the left looks shorter.

3. Mitsuji Kuroda

Mitsuji Kuroda

Jul 4, 2019
    Yeah I believe its for violin bass. Im just worried that might split the wood and crack. That wont happen right?

Rob Martinez likes this.
  4. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Yes, drill away. I installed similar "trapeze" style tailpieces with no problem. If you want to be extra careful, first use a smaller drill bit, then use the larger one.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I agree, the one on the left appears to be shorter.

Rob Martinez likes this.
  6. The Ignitions are made of plywood with a veneer top. With the layers of wood holding together tighter than a thin solid piece, a crack is rare from a drill hole. you will have to watch for a hunk of the veneer snapping off..