1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hofner Ignition Violin Bass- string length? (And La Bella Breakage?)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ecadad, Apr 19, 2019.

1. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    Hi everyone, I'm a bit confused as to what strings would be appropriate for a Hofner Ignition Violin Bass, length/scale wise.

I know that it's a short scale bass, and I ordered a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' "Beatle Bass" flats, but as soon as I had them on my bass the E string snapped at the silk near the nut. I have no clue why. Are they the wrong length? Defective?

Should I just get regular length flats for it? I've seen some folks online say that short scale strings don't work on Hofner's, that you need medium scale strings because of the length of the bridge and body, but the La Bella's say they'll work for Beatle style basses. What to do?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Banned SUSPENDED Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Needs Medium Scale flats or the "Beatle Bass" set. Was the string resting in the nut while bringing it up to pitch? Did it grab onto the nut at all? Any bends in the string in the silken section?

SirMjac28 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  3. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    I was using the Beatles Bass set, those are the ones that snapped. I thought that they would work on a Hofner violin bass. The string was in the nut, as soon as the E got tuned to pitch, snap! No bends in the silken part of the string, just a clean snap.

Will the Beatle Bass La Bella's not work for a Hofner?I feel like an idiot.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    While bringing it up to pitch did you lift the string out of the nut slightly? Sometimes the string grabs in the nut resulting in the part of the string behind the nut getting tighter while the pitch does not change on the playing side of the string. This happens more with flats than rounds.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    Would this cause breakage? I didn't lift the string from the nut, I was just tuning as usual.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    It can. When first installing strings best to lift them from the nut every so often to avoid this. It is possible to keep turning the tuner and the string getting tighter on the tuner side, but the pitch changing slower on the playing side of the nut.

Regardless, best to contact La Bella regarding the broken string.

SirMjac28 and ecadad like this.
  7. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011

Thanks, I reached out to them and I'm waiting for a reply. I was just wondering if the strings were wrong for my bass, even if they say they're for "Beatle Basses"

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    If it is an Ignition they should be correct.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    Thanks, guess I'll just have to try them again

10. I only use the La Bella "Beatles Bass set" on Hofners. They work great on other short scale hollow bodies too.

biguglyman, DJ Bebop and onestring like this.
  11. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    Have you ever had one break on a Hofner while tuning?

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It can happen! A defect in the manufacturing. I might also contact the dealer you got them from and see if they will replace them.

Don't mess with other strings! Hofners are notorious for weak necks (At least the older ones were) and can be ruined with too much tension. That's how I got my club bass back in the 60's - the neck was warped from using the wrong strings.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    Thanks! I contacted the dealer and they said that they won't do any sort of replacement on strings that have been opened/installed. I emailed La Bella and they asked for a photo and information on what happened... I hope they can replace it, I hate to throw $40 away because of one dud string.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. Personally no. But I could see how it might happen, they're designed for the small Hofner banjo style tuning pegs so the wrap wire tapers down very thin like a guitar string to wrap round the post. But once they're on you'll never need to replace them, so the first installment is the only time you'll have a risk of breaking.

15. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011

Good to know. Do the Ignition series Hofner have those smaller posts? And how would you make sure not to break the small wire?

16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Beatle bass distance to the tailpiece creates the need for a 'medium scale' string length, and the tiny holes in Hofner tuners makes it awkward to try and use long scale strings. (I have an ignition and it has the vintage style tuners) Sounds like you just had a dud string! ( I've never had a LaBella string break in 40+ years, but I'm sure it does happen... ) You shouldn't have to do anything special, just install the strings properly :)

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. Same basic size I'm sure. Just be careful, leave as much wire around the post when wrapping and it should be fine.

18. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    Thanks for the tips! Are you saying to make sure to wrap a lot of wire around the post?

Mastermold likes this.
  19. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    The short scale should work. Medium scale is used the 70s' Hofners, as the tail pieces for those years were smaller (smaller tail pieces likely continue after the 70s).

20. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Yes, that's what Mastermold is stating, as am I, also the owner of a Ignition BB. The LaBella Flats BBs are the only string I use, on that ( I use LaBella Tapewounds on all my other basses). I broke the A string on a set. I simply ordered another set , they were fine and I have 3 spare strings I'm sure I will never use. Hopefully LaBella will sell you the single string you need or replace it free.