Hofner serial number?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by firstbase, Jan 29, 2009.

1. firstbase

firstbase

Jan 25, 2009
    I am doing some further looking into what I am told is 1965 Hofner 500/1. Does anyone know where the Serial Number is located on those instruments? The dealer can't find it. Thanks in advance.

2. Hi.

No wonder he can't find it, it doesn't exist AFAIK.

The old Höfners are dated by pots and parts. Good set of pics of the hardware, construction and the pot codes are a good place to start.

Edit: You must know this site already, but anyway here's a link.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/cont.html

Regards
    Sam

3. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Even the new hofner's don't have them on the instrument. They are usually on the original paperwork that you get when you buy a new one.

4. firstbase

firstbase

Jan 25, 2009
    Thanks guys, sorry for the bother. I did find that site and it seems that the pots are the only way to find out on this one...no original paperwork.

5. Hofner's sold through their UK distributor Selmer of London during the 60's had serial numbers stamped on the back of the headstock. Those serial numbers are very traceable.

For 60's made Hofner's the best way to determine the year of manufacture is both visually looking for specific features and to date the volume pots. If you don't know how to read the pot codes PM me and i'll explain it to you.

Sorry, but that's incorrect. Since the late 1990's Hofner has been placing the serial number on a label that's glued to the instrument inside the body cavity right underneath the control panel. Remove the control and you'll see it right there.

TD

6. njfrese

njfrese

Jun 7, 2010
    South Jersey
    My Hofner has those black volume nobs with the silver tops. I've been told that means it dates between 1969-1971. Inside the electronics it reads 54 250K. Would that be any help in dating it?

7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Hey NJ, yours date to the 5th week of 1974.

8. jcrios

jcrios

Feb 7, 2013
    Does anybody knows if this number is the serial number? Inside the electronics it reads B 472K 2232

9. jimtone

jimtone

Feb 23, 2012
    How about Hofner Hct 500/1 serial# P0615B283

10. Martin on the Bass

Martin on the Bass

Aug 20, 2015
    The serial is stamped on the top of the head.

11. jimtone

jimtone

Feb 23, 2012
    I'm thinking B dates it to 2001?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021