1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hofner violin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimstyx, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I'm on a really big beatles kick lately, I'll start with that.
    I am in love with the violin bass look!
    That being said, talk me out of it lol
    Not really but I do want to know If anyone likes this bass?
    Any experience with it?
    And does anyone know the comparison for the ignition?
    I expect it's far worse than the 800$ model, but is the ignition good for the money?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Talk you out of buying a bass? Blasphemy!
    Lots of love for violin shaped things on TB.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  3. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
  4. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Thanks brother!
    I'm more talking like in the future
    I just bought a bass beg. Of august an I'm thinking like a year or two in the future I expect @johnk_10 to of sold that beautiful bass by 2019-2020 lol.
    While I have the buying bug, bills and such keep me from acquiring everything the minute I want it lol.

5. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    That's why I asked if the ignition is great. I unfortunately am limited to swooning and research for a couple years @Stumbo

6. I have the Ignition. It cops the look and the McCartney/Beatles tone well. I like the feel of the neck. Some neck dive, but not enough to concern me.

I see no reason to purchase a German Hofner, if money is a concern. Good value bass for that style and type.

EDIT: Sam Ash had a couple on their used gear site recently.

Stumbo likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    If you read the details of @johnk_10's ad, you can learn quite a bit! :thumbsup:

8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
  9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've been playing Hofner 500/1 basses for the past 51 years. Got my first used (a 1965) in 1967, haven't been without one since.

TD

10. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Thank you all so much
    I was worried it seems I always catch an eye for basses that turn out to have tons of problems

11. Superter

Superter

Aug 19, 2018
    I have Fender Jazz bass and P bass but I found they were affecting my back way too much due to their weight, so i have had to play around with my non-bass guitars.I have also been considering a lighter Bass and looking at the Hofner. If i decide on one then I will report back. However, i have only been playing Bass for 16 months, Jamming and played a few open mic nights. But I will give my opinion, for what little its worth if I get a lighter Hofner and I too am a Beatles Fan, Come Together is a great song for Bass. It was 2nd song I learnt on Bass, Money by Pink Floyd was the first.

Jimstyx likes this.
  12. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    I have an ignition and a CT. Both fun to play. For sure the CT is a better made instrument but it isn’t necessarily more fun to play.

If I could only have one bass, I’d keep the CT because it gets a real nice punchy and tighter sound.

But since I have a pbass and a jazz as well and if I could only keep one Hofner , I’d keep the ignition because it is so different sounding (with its hollow body bloom on the notes).

13. Talk you out of it?
    OK, stand back, hold my beer, and watch me do this...
    I am a professional, don’t try this at home...
    Here goes...
    You ready?
    Stand by...
    And.......

Jimstyx likes this.
  14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    While the violin bass gives the "Beatles look" I prefer the ergonomics of the Club bass body. I get the same tones as the violin bass, plus I avoid all the Beatles questions and song requests I got when I used the violin style.

I use the Ignition versions and find them to sound closer to the German made basses I've used than the Contemporary versions. I also prefer the neck profile of the Ignition version.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  15. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    I own a German one, and have not played the Ignition or Contemporary. But I've heard overwhelmingly good things about both of those models. One of them (can't remember which) has a solid block down the center, so that may affect how Beatle-y the bass might sound, so that may be something to check out first before buying.

16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Tapewound Rogue 2. I don't have a Hofner; I have this early '90s MIK Rogue VB-100. However...
    I got the Rogue for 2 reasons. One, it was a readily available lefty; and two, the only Hofners available at the time were very expensive German ones. Along with a long wait for them, too... Since then, I've noodled around on right handed Hofner Icons, CTs, and even a German 500/1 or two.
    How are they? Well..
    1. I think I prefer my Rogue over the Icon. Mainly because it's Korean, and very, very well made - out of some gorgeous wood. I might not be able to say the same if the Rogue was a modern Chinese one, though. But, for me, my Korean Rogue gets the nod...
    2. The CT Hofners I've played were maybe a hair better than my Rogue, build-wise; but the sound block in the CT just puts me off, tone-wise. AFAIC, that's just not how a violin bass is supposed to sound. My Rogue with Roto 88 tapes? That's how they're supposed to sound...
    3. German 500/1? Well, it's the real deal; can't argue much with that. BUT... much as I'd like to have one, I can't get past the fact that a German lefty Hofner costs about 17 times as much as my Rogue did. Sad to say, but - nice as they are, they just don't sound 17 times better...:cool:

17. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I can talk you out of one. 1. they feel like a toy that might break if you play them too hard. This is especially true if you are used to long scale solid body bass like a Fender or Gibson or any other... 2. they Do Not Sound like Sir Paul's tracks without major eq-ing. You have to get rid of the high mid that the tiny body naturally has, a parametric eq like a studio board is ideal. 3. I don't know how players use it standing with a strap. I know they Do it, I just don't know how. technique. They feel like they are going to flip over to me. Otherwise enjoy the look.

Jimstyx likes this.
  18. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    I have to disagree.

1) yes , the ignition is so light and seemingly fragile that it has a toy-like feel, but the CT is solid and has a much higher quality feel. I have both and neither has fallen apart on me.

2) as far as sounding like PM, there are a million variables unrelated to the bass itself - recording technique , mixing, mastering technique, amplification and playing technique. The ignition and CT Hofners do have a similar sound.

3) sitting down is a bit awkward but a standing position is very natural feeling to me.

My first was a Rogue VB100 which I used for over 10 years until I gave it to an aspiring Beatles fan. It was fine, played well and recorded well. It was actually a solid body (or semi solid) at the time I purchased it.

With that said, I can’t think of a reason NOT to get one other than there are many basses that are lighter than the standard Fenders that may be less stressful on your body and meet your needs without being a “Beatle bass”.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    DavyR likes this.
  19. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I've been playing bass since 8-3-18
    I learned the intro to money first as well I've learned about 22 riffs in these 3 weeks and the beatles saved me from "that bored phase" I had by learning come together and day tripper it revitalized me got me back in the mood
    Learning good times by chic currently
    I'd recommend the rogue vb 100 heard nothing but good things and they're like 150 bucks

ICM likes this.
  20. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I don't want it to sound beatley
    I just love the look and wanted to know if there are faults in the bass
    I don't plan to gig or record
    I just love music and wanted a vb
    And wanted to know if they play as sweet as they look