1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Holcomb basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lightning Rider, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Lightning Rider

Lightning Rider

Jan 1, 2010
    Alaska
    I recently came across a very... very, very strange bass and guitar company called Holcomb. Link. The Cap'n Crunch bass and Door guitar (with degraded door body!) specifically caught my eye.

So, what do you guys think of these basses. Have any of you had any expirience with these basses in real life?

2. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    He's pretty out there. Love the door guitar.

3. Raab900

Raab900

Apr 11, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Endorsing Artist: Holcomb Guitars, LaBella Strings
    Nick Holcomb built me a bass last year and it is amazing! I designed the body and he went crazy on the woods. check out the pic and let me know what you think! My bass is not up on his website yet but you can see some of his other stuff at www.holcombguitars.com and at www.holcombguitars.blogspot.com

Attached Files:

4. Gastón

Gastón

Nov 28, 2004
    Spain
    Nice designs but not for me. Some specifications or audio clips?

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Interesting. I like how all the "art" pieces (the ones like the door and the cross) are all guitars.

[​IMG]

I quite like this even though it looks like he made the body and fitted a neck from a Cort to it.

I will say that the fit and finish appears to be somewhat unrefined. He seems to be aiming high but missing the mark. I'm curious to see how he progresses.

6. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Nice body. :)

Fred

7. Also got the opportunity to play Rob's Raab Bass alil while back it is fast as hell and the neck is so small and fast. He is very very good with necks from design and playability. U guys should check out the blog spot with the new tiny hawk he built, also a very fast neck. At some point hes gonna build one for me but i have a few more things we wanna try first

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wonder if the Cap'n Crunch bass would shred up the roof of your mouth if you tried to eat it....

9. NickPagano

NickPagano

Aug 14, 2011
    I believe having an instrument that you love to play will inspire you to create better music. Pretty simple, right?

As a musician who is drop-dead serious about the tone, look, playability, and craftsmanship of the instruments I own, I'm extremely pleased with the custom bass Nick Holcomb created for me. I've been professionally playing most of my life and have owned a Warwick Corvette, Fender J Bass, Washburn Taurus, and Gibson EB-3. None of 'em quite did it for me.

Enter Nick Holcomb. We met after a show and after visiting his shop, I was hooked. His design capabilities blew me away and the tone and playability of his work was killer.

The Bass:

He built me a short scale, 30 inch, Glider (see photo below). Maple was used for the neck with an ebony fingerboard. 24 frets. Nice. For the body alder with a wenge top was selected. I wanted to keep electronics straight forward so we went with a Seymour Duncan Bassline Musicman style humbucker with a single volume and tone control. Hipshot tuners and Schaller bridge were a must for hardware.

Overall, the bass looks killer and has fast and easy playability. As for sound quality -- it sounds like Jack Bruce and Flea wanted a hybrid of the basses that made them famous, summoned Holcomb for the build, and out came my bass.

Visit his website:
    Holcomb Guitars

-Nick Pagano

Attached Files:

10. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I like the Glider shape quite a bit, especially as a short scale. Nice. I'd have put the jack elsewhere, but there's not much room on such a tight body.

Any indication of a price range?

11. Rebopmass

Rebopmass Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Not sure hit Nick up on his website. Holcomb guitars.com