Hollow body short scale bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by didid007, Sep 9, 2015.

1. didid007

didid007

Jun 21, 2014
    I have been trying to find a good hollow body bass for awhile and it seems like there isn't that many out there. Iv e been looking for a hollow body with a short scale neck, humbuckers, and preferably a hardtail bridge of some sort. However a regular scale bass with a hardtail bridge would also be acceptable. I also was looking and found the Dan Armstrong bass which I thought was also pretty cool, but it seems almost like a one of a kind bass that doesn't really have anything like it. Maybe someone knows of a bass that may fit this?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Most hollow body's are short scale.
    Gretsch, Guild, most Gibson and Epiphones and Fender

3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    pudge likes this.
  4. If it's a hollow body bass, how would you attach a hardtail bridge? The Gretsch Electromatic in my avatar is a great playing and sounding bass.

LegendInMyMind likes this.
  5. A Beatle Bass. More specifically, the Epiphone Viola. Most specifically, the one I have for sale in the TB classifieds.

6. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Hofner Club Bass:

Hofner-Ignition-Club-Bass.jpg

mongo2 likes this.
  7. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    SO want to try one o'them.

Epiphone Allen Woody (also semi hollow) is my current love.

Jughead6 likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Hollowbodies, by their very nature, don't work well with hardtail bridges; there isn't anything under the top to screw the bridge into. Semi - hollowbody basses, though, sometimes do have them, because there's a wooden block (the tone block) running up the middle. If it's wide enough in the right place, the tone block can provide an anchor for the bridge. Basically, any "hollow bodied" bass with a hardtail bridge is almost certainly semi hollow. And, there's nothing wrong with a semi; they sound just as good as a full hollow. Better, in a sense; the tone block dampens out the feedback that can plague full hollows - especially the guitars. And, the great majority of either are short scale basses, as well. Actually, a long scale, full hollowbody bass, is about the only thing missing from my herd. Unfortunately, the tiny handful of companies that make them, didn't/don't make leftys; does make for a long, interesting search, though...:)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  9. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'd recommend dropping the hardtail requirement and looking at what's out there. In addition to the brands mentioned above, Ibanez has a range of well regarded and affordable hollow and semi-hollow short scale basses with humbuckers.
    Basses - Artcore Basses Series - Standard | Ibanez guitars
    I've got one of the early full-scale models and I can attest that they are well built and very attractive instruments.

10. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Down_Low, pudge and bassfran like this.
  11. didid007

didid007

Jun 21, 2014
    Well a semi hollow body would be nice too and then a hardtail would work. Really what im looking for is a bass with the ES style body, but i hate the tune o matic bridges that come with them.

12. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Looked at the Fender Starcaster? Has a tone block and 'buckers.

G-Dog and vegas532 like this.
  13. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Any Hofner.

El Pelusa and ScottTunes like this.
  14. didid007

didid007

Jun 21, 2014
    How about hagstrom basses? Anyone have an opinion on them?

15. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Amherst, MA
    Come to think of it, what companies are making full scale hollowbodies? The only one I can think of is Lakland but I'm not sure if that's even a hollowbody.

16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Can you say, Gretsch White Falcon Bass? I think there also is/was a Gibson Something-or-Other; but except for a another vintage Gretsch (a 6072. IIRC), yes, they're scarce. I have a '94 Gretsch Broadkaster that actually is a factory lefty, but it's the only lefty Gretsch bass I (or anyone I've ever talked to) have ever seen. So, evidently Gretsch did make a few; maybe there's a lefty White Falcon out there somewhere.. And, unless I read the description wrong, I think that the first run of Eastwood Bass 4's were long scale, too. Don't think they made many, though. From what I gather, 34" hollowbodies are rather awkward instruments, anyway; but I want one...:)

17. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Welcome to Lakland

18. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    The Laklands can be set up to be strung either way, but the controls would then end up on the top and in the way. YMMV.

19. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    Italia Rimini Semi-Hollow Body Electric Bass Guitar | 5th Century Music

The Italia Rimini has been made as a lefty and has a 34" scale.
    Italia Torino Bass Guitar | Musician's Friend
    Their Torino also has a lefthand version.
    Hard to get though.

d-angelico-ex-bass-semi-hollowbody-left-handed-electric-bass-guitar-vintage-sunburst_3881030.jpg
    EX-BASS - D'Angelico Guitars | Evolution of a Legacy

The D’Angelico EX-Bass is medium scale and seems to be available as a lefty.

20. I second the Dub-King and Lakland and the Ibanez Artcore and the Fender Starcaster (it's a 32" scale). I've been looking at the the Artcore in a 5 string version for a while now.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021