1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Home Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Quap, Jun 6, 2019.

1. bluesfordan

bluesfordan

Sep 3, 2009
    N.H.
    zomg, so glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that :roflmao:

2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    The standard rule when writing a joke is to save the punch line for the last word. Especially when it's true.

The Owl likes this.
  3. Quap

Quap

Oct 14, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I don't know a budget yet. I guess I was hoping on seeing suggestions and go from there. Spec it out price it and see where I'm at.

I was thinking I would need to purchase a new computer anyhow so that would be the first step.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Budget?

5. i found a used Mac powerbook on craigslist with garageband on it. you can find a 2 channel focusrite interface on ebay. I like to use a Beringer DI box but not necessary. no need for a mic, the powerbook has internal mic that works good for vocals especially with all the effects in garageband.

6. Find an older PC... get Ubuntu Studio (free.... and get every app in it, because: Who Knows where you'll go from here).... dump anything like Windows 8.0 out of that now 'ex-PC' with a total harddrive format. Do a clean-install and you'll find that even if Virtual Ware is new to you, Ubuntu Studio will be very friendly and self intuitive................... it IS !!! No arguments he`ya... unnerstand?
    ubuntu studio 001.
    You don't need to speak geek and know linecode to use it. This is a myth, (and if she got married she'd be a Mythus).​

Ubuntu Studio (free) has quite a few (free) great (free) VM audio software in it (free) and that, (free) coupled with the usual hardware..... (did I mention that Linux things are"free"?)
    Studio_vmware.

vm stuff.
    Mic stands (inexpensive even if new bought)...
    Microphone cables, balanced and unbalanced (buy new for best performance... not terribly expensive)... learn how to solder.....
    A pencil mic or two (not free).... (make that: definitely not free)....
    A couple of Shure SM57s or 58s ... but I like Digital Reference b/o somewhat flatter than Shures although they need more boost......
    Audio-Technica AT2020 Studio type condenser mic (new, under $100.00) ....
    ART TubeAmp Studio preamp with Phantom Power (ridiculously inexpensive, but not free).... mine were on a Guitar Center Manager's Special for $19.95 each... so I bought three, why not?)
    I use an ART PRO MPA-2 mic preamp, but own the above ones ^ too (new = $360.00 ... but is a LOT less than a Black Lion or Great River unit)...

I'm not heavily involved in headphones, but I admit that they are sometimes nice so there are four pair that other players can use if they like. I like open air monitors, even tilt back floor types.

In days of yore, I found an older Peavey XR600-E amp with all sorts of knobs and slider-thingies and holes to stick wires into and out.... and frankly.... confession time.... I still use it for a lot of recording, mixing and effects coupled with Boss VE-5 and an Alesis NanoVerb Effects Processor (free... because the previous owner lost the 9VAC power supply) with some JBL 308 Studios (new).......

Most other players bring their own guitar amps, but I use a CUBE for personal use 'cause when I mic it, it sounds awesomely good.

Did you know that those Fender or Peavey 10Watt practice bass amps that come in a You Can Play Bass package ... that although they are pitiful with a bass, TOTALLY rock out with an acoustic guitar or harmonicas? It do! Look to pay 20 bux for one. Really!

Listen... the list goes on, but I like using rack gear, since the current "thing" is to use stand-alone powered gadgets with wallwart power supplies.
    Don't get me wrong.... EXTERNAL power supplies are better IMO.. because bleed-over 60Hz noise doesn't bother ones that have the transformer outside of the case.
    That's good.
    They're just messy, in a cables all over the place way.
    I have a bunch too, but I hate wires all over da place.

But you see... rack gear is not in current vogue, so there's some great buys in it right now.... just consider if you want the newer (not necessarily better) mini-vertical stuff.... because the knobs are tiny... and so's the lettering on them..... just sayin'.....

Fun Fact.... those indestructible plastic milk crates have a 19" wide ID.
    They could be FREE too.... just sayin'
    milk crates.
    Do you know what else.... that might be of interest to you.... is ALSO 19" wide?
    Fun Fact Answer: Rack Gear! Uh huh!
    Ever heard of Crate Amplifiers?

Crate_ Crate.

They used to come in crates...not really, but they fit into crates... and before we could afford them, they were our traveling cases for amps and effects!
    They also have great air circulation, although they want (suck badly) for rainproof.
    They won't float either.

I dont really like to buy used gear.... maybe just a fetish of mine.... by buying new you get a brand-new warranty and customer support... which is good if you buy a lemon and need to get it replaced or repaired during that time period.
    Pawn shops = good buys, but WYSIWYG and then again... NO warranties... NO service center either .... just saying.....​
    Craigslist = some crazy people... some downright dangerous..... depending upon your Zip Code..listen at me good here...... (If CCW is legal in your state..... just saying)......

There ain't no amount of Mojo or Funk on or in something that'll make me want it nor make it more valuable, unless it was kissed by angels or Willie Nelson hisself.... and THAT you should personally see happen.....
    I might soften a bit here... totally out of character for me.... but used MIGHT be OK with the caveat that bodily fluids and excretions do not empower an inanimate object in any way.
    If I were to start from scratch, I'd be a-buying rack mounted gear. Some feel it's obsolete, but it works and always has. Studios were founded on that stuff so why shun it now?

I like lots of knobs and blinky lights... if'n it don't look like the Starship Enterprise it ain't happenin'.
    Personally, I use analog gear as much as possible because of the warmth in reproduction.
    Digital is kewl... but really, you and I aren't Columbia or RCA here.... right?
    I also tend to be an iconoclast and NOT jump onto new bandwagons either.
    I may also be on the cusp of turning into a steampunk.
    Now... if you wanna see and hear some "Kids With Guitars On A Budget"....
    Bookmark that site, SUBSCRIBE to it... even put it on Autoplay and prepare to be amazed.... Squiers, MIMs and budget gear where it can be; Big Bux where it has to be. Don't drool.

I'm on a budget all the time, worse than you because I'm still married, but I pick up things, like I said, "all the time".... lighting racks, lights, 4x12 cabs, 2x10 cabs, Furmans, an Audio-Technica turntable, a studio desk, desk mic stands, booms, overheads, uncoupling mats, don't forget lots of power strips, baby spots in LED 6500K and 4000K and SWMBO grimaces at every "Look what I found!"

I found a really good-but-used dog that way once who I loved and now miss very badly.....
    20190206_133533.

I never got a Pink Slip on her, but she never seemed to want to be anywhere but with me. Gawd, I miss that dog.

Anyway... just consider some of the things people are telling you here and measure out for yerself what you need......

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I' m using a Lenovo G50 laptop (8 gigs RAM 1TB hard drive Quad core processor). It was an about to be discontinued model I got from Best Buy for half price, still runs like a champ. Get a machine with a lot of memory and disc space, no such thing as too much headroom.

My interface is a Steinberg/Cubase UR22 (2 channel with MIDI ports) with Cubase AI DAW, for $150 very well worth it. More features than I'll ever use in a lifetime.

ProTools is obscenely overpriced and difficult to get the hang of. However, other good DAW's include Reaper and Logic (Apple only). Band Lab has reissued Cakewalk as a very feature packed and FREE DAW.

As far as mics, Audio Technica, AKG, MXL and others make very good condensers for very reasonable prices. Same for dynamic mics. Having at least one of each type will cover a lot of ground for you. You don't have to have a $4000 Neumann U87 to get a good sound.

Always buy mic stands new, used ones will fall apart quicker and cause a few headaches.

As far as headphones, Audio Technicas are a good bet, very reasonable.

For monitors, Yamaha, JBL, Adam, Edifer or Mackie are good bets. I'd avoid KRK or M Audio.

Hopefully this helps some.

8. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Sorry to hear the bad news, OP.

Since you said "including computer", I will recommend a different course. I will say, don't sink money into a computer (unless you need one for other purposes), rather, put those resources into the recording/music equipment.

IF you are writing songs, and want to make good sounding songwriter demos - and you don't need or want FX on the unit - I would say get a Tascam DP-08, and a couple of good mics + stands, plus a good set of headphones.

If you want more options/processing on the recorder unit, maybe look at the Zoom R16, or Boss BR-800.

Because essentially, a standalone multitrack recorder is a dedicated computer, with dedicated OS for the purpose. It is often the best path to getting your material down, and is also entirely portable (Tascam DP-08 will run on AA batteries).

------
    if you are going to get a PC, I recommend a Ryzen-based platform right now. Build a Ryzen machine with the lowest processor in the line, and get a motherboard with 4 Memory slots, filling 2 of them. That will be a powerful PC with a robust upgrade path available to it for many years to come.

Note: unless you want to use Pro Tools Free, in which case you may need all 4 Memory slots from the getgo (12GB RAM is the low spec for Pro Tools).