Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Home Setup (desperate)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 4, 2005.

1. My Ibanez has become very messed up lately. The neck is very warped, the intonation terrible, the action is way too high etc. Basically, it needs a setup very badly. The problem is, I'm broke. I have no job right now and when I do get a job, there's more important things that need money first. Can anyone here give me step-by-step instructions on how to setup my bass? I have a full set of allen keys and a pretty good variety of tools so I think I have everything I need, if not just let me know.

PS--I know it's kinda risky to attempt it myself, but I have no choice. I need this bass functional again in the next 2 weeks for a gig oppurtunity with my friends band. Right now, I'm willing to take the risk. If anything goes wrong, I can replace/repair anything I need later on. But right now, I'm desperate and I NEED to get this bass working again.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  3. wow. That's a lot more in depth then I thought it would be. I don't think I have all of those tools either. Still, thanks for the link. I'm gonna have to get what I need (which is only 2-3 things on the list) and do it. Thanks a lot sean, this helps a lot.

4. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You don't need the peg winder. The feelers are dirt cheap, maybe $2. The 6" ruler, maybe also called a machinists rule or pocket ruler, is about $5 for a decent one. You probably have everything else.

Both the feelers and the ruler should be available at any good automotive shop.

5. For the feelers, would a sparkplug gapper work? I'm not sure what a "feeler" is, but the sparkplug gapper seems like it might work depending on what I need it for. It's a round piece of metal, the side of it slowly goes from very thin to wide, all less then maybe 3 mm.

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Here is an example of feeler guages: [​IMG].

I have one of the sparkplug gappers like you have and it won't work in for bass setup :(

7. OK, that's still good. I have an Autozone and a Pepboys local, so I know I'll be able to get those. I think that's all I need, except maybe a ruler, not sure if I still have one. I'll get this stuff, do what I can, and let you guys know what happens in a day or 2. Thanks for all the help!

8. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Gary Willis Guide, here's another guide, I like it more.

You really don't need feeler gauges or even a ruler, two appropriatly sized hex keys (allen wrenchs) and a phillips screwdriver (the cross shaped one) are all you need.

9. ^whooopsie. I missed that. Still, thanks for all the help guys.