Hondo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1984 Hondo, Feb 4, 2009.

1. 1984 Hondo

1984 Hondo

Feb 4, 2009
    Louisiana
    Hi. I am hoping to get feedback about my bass. I am the original owner of an 84 Hondo longhorn. I am curious as to its quality, how desireable, etc... I have never owned another bass, so I really can't compare it to another.

Attached Files:

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    <-- see the box over there on the left? Supporting members can sell stuff in the classifieds here.

If it's worth $20 to you to find out value... become a supporting member. Otherwise you should expect this thread to disappear shortly when a moderator see's it.

Words per the sherriff around these here parts...

A rule change has come into effect on "What is it worth?" and "What would you pay for..." type threads.
    To post a thread such as these you MUST be a supporting member. These types of threads should be posted in the forum for which they belong (ie; amps and related in Amps, basses in Basses, etc.) This policy covers and includes all sub-forums here at Talkbass.

3. 1984 Hondo

1984 Hondo

Feb 4, 2009
    Louisiana
    I thought that might be a problem. forget value. what about quality and desireability?
    (edited first post)

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I think people who like them really like them.

Not my thing at all.

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    i can't say for sure, but Hondo's seem to be one of the less desirable brands from the so-called "lawsuit era" of overseas copies of more familiar brands. Not sure exactly why, since i've never played one myself, but I've always gotten the sense that they're less desirable than say, a Univox, Greco, Tokai, or similar Ibanez. I have seen people describe them as great basses, but the prices on ebay are usually on the low side.

With that said: i usually hear more about Hondo's fender copies... maybe the dano copy is a rare one?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I played one of those back in the eighties at a shop. Not a bad Longhorn copy for the price, easily the equal of the more recent Danelectro branded stuff.

7. 1984 Hondo

1984 Hondo

Feb 4, 2009
    Louisiana
    thanks for you replies. I always thought it sounded and played nicely. I know there aren't too many of these around. It has sentimental value to me. thanks again...Matt

8. I think it's only good for firewood and you should ship it to me and I'll take care of it. Really, it's so odd, I love it.

9. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    My bass teacher has that bass in a 4 string/8 string doubleneck configuration! It is the sweetest!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021