Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Honey blonde

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Apr 25, 2004.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Just by curiosity...

Made a search on Google to find pics of Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass in honey blonde finish.

This one looks like solid colour, almost white :

[​IMG]

While this one looks closer to natural :

[​IMG]

Which one is closer to reality ?

Thanks
    JL

2. I found another pic for you Jean. This one seems kinda like its a cross between the 2 you showed. It probally depends on the lighting as well?
    Either way...i still think its an awsome colour.

[​IMG]

3. Here is a tele in honey blonde too. I love this colour.
    [​IMG]

4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nice pics, thanks !

In all cases, I agree they look great.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    the first one looks like "antique white"...but it could be the lighting like B'Aces High said. either way it's a sweet color. :D

6. I tried out a Hwy1 few days ago that looked just like that one. Not very attractive IMO, I like the transparent finish much more.

7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    BTW, how did it sound and play ?

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I think that P-Bass pic above looks the closest. I have a honey blonde Hwy 1 J-bass. I replaced the bridge with a BAII bridge and replaced the pups with Dimarzio Model J's and the bass kicks serious tail now.

9. JL,

The first one is most likely Antique White. The second one is Honey Blonde, which is a transparent color. If you haven't already, check out the color charts on the Fender wesite here: http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/

Randy

10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I already checked, thanks. I believe what confused me is this pic of this "almost white", shown as being a "honey blonde", but which seems not be.

And I did not find "antique white" in the Fender color chart, so I don't really understand... :rolleyes:

11. Duh.....sorry. :oops: I meant to say Vintage White (#41). But it's not a standard Hwy 1 color, so who knows. :meh:

Randy

12. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That's what I figured out afterwards.

One more element of confusion is that photo #1 shows what seems to be a genuine Highway 1, while photo #2 obviously does not show a Highway 1 (see truss rod adjustment at the body - Hwy1's have it on the headstock).

So what really happens there ? Don't know either... :meh:

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have a Highway 1 P-Bass in Honey Blonde. It's closer to the Jazz bass picture in your first post, but not as transparent.

FYI- Honey Blonde + Tortoise Shell pickguard = Hot. :D

14. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks. Anyway, if I get a Hwy1, and if I have the choice, that'll probably be the finish I'll take. But overall, I'll take the bass - whatever it is - that plays and sounds best to me.

Not a fan of tortoise shell, sorry...
    But once again, if I find a great bass, no matter how it looks.

Cheers,
    JL

15. I wasn´t very impressed. It played fine, but the sound was somehow lifeless and dull despite new strings. And the finish was kind of dull too... I don´t like matte finishes on painted basses and this one was particularily bad; it looked a bit like someone painted it with ordinary house paint!

16. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I just played one in person. I love the satin finish, but it definatley has a yellow tint to the color. It is not white at all. Sort of a yellowish cream. The color didn't impress me (although the rest of the bass did!).

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats very vintage looking :bassist:

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Dont they usually call it buterscotch?

19. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I think butterscotch is more orangey yellow

20. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I think that the flash of the camera makes the jazz bass look lighter then it is. It sure looks like a Highway 1 honey blonde to me! Ive seen a few and some you can see wood grain and some you cant.