1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HONG KONG

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by sybarite, Jun 9, 2007.

1. sybarite

sybarite

Mar 4, 2006
    New York, NY
    Anybody know who won the principal & section jobs in Hong Kong? :confused:

2. jlehmberg

jlehmberg

Jan 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I just got news that I got the tutti job in HK. The principal post probably won't be filled this year. Apparently they're going to rotate some of the section players into the slot this year and then reaudition for the principal job, or maybe just hold internal auditions next year. They've also been bringing in guest principals. Owen Lee and Larry Angell(sp?) are coming in July. I played with the HKPO in 2005-2006 to cover a one-year sabbatical and stayed in HK to join another orchestra. So I'm sure it helped that they knew me. Don't be surprised if there are more openings coming up soon, though.

3. quenoil

quenoil

Jan 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    Congratulations on the new job!

4. jlehmberg

jlehmberg

Jan 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Thanks!

I guess it's also possible that they'll hire 2 section players if Edo is in fact just going to rotate section players into the principal slot. Maybe someone else out their will be flying out to Hong Kong soon. As I said, though, I bet there will be more openings soon. Edo reauditioned the entire section this year, and gave three of the players 1-year probationary contracts. They have to audition for him again next season, and if he still doesn't like them they're out. Hopefully things will settle down soon. Most people seem to think that he is raising the quality of the orchestra though. We'll see...

5. njgbass

njgbass

Jul 4, 2007
    Did I read it right? Larry Angell could be playing in Hong Kong!!!?

Thats awesome!!!

6. bass1867

bass1867

Mar 5, 2007
    A guy from Philly is going there for a 6 month contract I think.

:confused: Eehm have you guys actually HEARD Larry Angell???? I pity the HK section - they're in for an eye (or ear) opening experience!!

7. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Regardless of whether this is true or not, I think we should remain respectful.

8. NotACello

NotACello

Oct 11, 2006
    new york city!
    I feel sorry for all of the ladies of Hong Kong if Larry is going to be there!

9. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway

What do you mean by this ?
    Please enlighten us with your wisdom.

10. NotACello

NotACello

Oct 11, 2006
    new york city!
    I mean that Larry is known to be quite open with his love of the female form.

11. jlehmberg

jlehmberg

Jan 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    As far as I know, Angell's come and gone. He was just in as guest principal for the last week of the season. I was out of town that week, and most of the players are away on summer break now, so I didn't hear how it went. I'll let you guys know if I hear any good gossip. Owen Lee also came, though, and everybody really liked him and his playing--what a huge sound! I got a lesson from him, and he had some great stuff to offer. His brother, Vance, plays bassoon out here, so he makes it out to HK quite a bit. We're still without a principal here, so I think some of us in the section are going to rotate into that slot, along with having a few guests in. Everything seems pretty up in the air right now.

12. bass1127

bass1127

Nov 7, 2007
    Bloomington
    is there any good bass i can rent in hongkong, since i'm going to visit there in winnter break

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021