Hoof Fuzz Level Issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MFNBassist, Jan 12, 2020.

1. MFNBassist

MFNBassist

Jan 10, 2020
    New Jersey
    Hey all,

I have an EQD Hoof that I've been using for the past few weeks. Man, I love the sound of this thing! But, I find it almost impossible to dial in a unity gain. I never have the level going past 9 o'clock, and any little movement CW or CCW either makes my volume too low or bleed-out-your-ears loud.
    For reference, I have this issue when using both active and passive basses, with and without compression running into the pedal. I often run my fuzz into a Tech 21 SansAmp BDDI, but, once again, experience this issue with and without.

So, my question is, do you guys find it hard dialing in fuzz pedals? If you own/owned an EQD Hoof, was this a problem for you? Any suggestion? Thanks

2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    My Stomp Under Foot Green Russian was like that. Not too long after acquiring it, I learned the joys of parallel signal processing, and it became less sensitive to a very slight twist either way while running in parallel. I can even crank up the tone and sustain on it more now.

The EQD Hoof is a germanium fuzz, which I've heard in some way changes in tone(?) as it warms up (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or please explain that one in more detail?) Same with my Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, which isn't nearly as sensitive as the SUF GR.

Our guitarist let me borrow his Hoof, and I was really loving the sounds! I don't remember it being as super sensitive as you describe, so I must've run it with a parallel clean also Honestly I don't recall.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022