Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hook, Line, and Sinker..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Superdave, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    My dealings with one of those Nigerian scammers...

Whenever one of these guys email me, I play along just to waste their time, and the money involved in making and sending a fake check from Nigeria. So far, this is my second check on it's way.

This guy's email is: alhaji_tankobello2000@yahoo.com

If anyone from Nigeria wants to buy your instrument, don't buy it, he's going to send you a fake check for a few thousand dollars hoping that you will send the extra money back with the instrument..then leaving you a few thousand in debt once they figure out it's a fake check.

Here are the emails, starting from the latest:

---------------------"TANKO"-----------------------

> tanko bello wrote:
    > GOODAY.
    > I AM ALH TANKO BELLO FROM NIGERIA.I OWN A MUSIC
    > SCHOOL HERE .I SAW YOUR ADVERT ON THE NET THAT YOU
    > WANT TO SALE YOUR GULITAR ,I AM INTRSTED IN IT.SO I
    > WILL LIKE YOU TO MAIL ME TO TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THE
    > PAYMENT
    >
    >
    > REGARDS
    > TANKO BELLO
    >
    >
    -------------------------Me-----------------------
    --- Dave S wrote:

> 'ello Mr. Bello,
    >
    > I will accept $500 including shipping and handling
    > in any payment form, preferably check or money
    > order. You can send it to:
    >
    > Dave Shnizzle
    > ****************
    > Webster Groves, MO 63119
    >
    > Thank you for your time. Dave

---------------------"TANKO"-----------------------

HELLO Mr DAVE.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.I WILL BE REQUESTING FOR TWO
    .AND I WILL LIKE YOU TO KNOW YOU WILL BE GETTING THE
    CHEQUE AS FROM NEXT WEEK. AND DO SEND ME YOUR PHONE
    NUMBER,
    I WILL BE SENDING YOU THE CHEQUE OF $4,800.SO YOU WILL
    REDUCT YOUR $1000 OUT OF THE $4,800 AND DO SEND ME
    THE REMANING BALANNCE OF $3,800 THROUGH WESTERN UNION
    MONEY TRANSFER .WHICH I WILL BE GIVING YOU THE
    INFORMATION ON HOW TO SEND THE MONEY AS SOON AS YOU
    COLLECT THE CHEQUE AND MAIL ME.I WILL LIKE YOU TO TAKE
    THE CHEQUE TO YOUR OWN BANK THAT YOU USE TO OPERATE.AS
    SOON AS THIS TRANSCATION IS SUCESSFULLY DONE,I
    WILL BE HAPPY DOING ANY OTHER BUSINES WITH YOU.

REGARDS.
    TANKO BELLO.

-------------------------Me-----------------------
    Mr. Bello,

This is acceptable. Once I receive the check, I will cash it and send the extra to your address along with the guitar. Please give me your address so I will be prepped for this transaction. Thank you, Dave.

--------------------------"TANKO"---------------

GOODAY Mr DAVIE.
    I WILL LIKE YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU WILL BE GETTING THE CHEQUE AS FROM NEXT WEEK.I WILL LIKE YOU TO KNOW THAT I AM A LITTLE BUSSY HERE ,HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU

REGARDS
    TANKO BELLO

------------------------"TANKO"------------------
    109A ADENIYI JONES AVE,
    IKEJA. LAGOS .NIGERIA.
    THIS THE ADDRESS.
    HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU. REMBER THE CHEQUE WILL GET TO YOU NEXT WEEK.AND PLZ DO MAIL ME AS SOON AS THE CHECK GETS TO YOU. AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE INFORMATION ON HOW TO SEND THE BALANCE. COZ YOU WILL BE SENDING IT THROUGH MY ACCOUNT .AND DO SEND IT THAT SAME DAY YOU CASH IT.AND REDUCT YOUR OWN SALES MONEY.
    REGARDS
    TANKO BELLO.

------------------------Me-----------------------

Mr. Bello,
    Thanks for the business, I will respond once I receive the check. Dave

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There's a lady paying a fine and doin' a stint in the slammer here in Oakland County for fallin' for one of those gimmicks. She worked at a law firm and sent the hucksters about $70,000.00 she embezzeled from the firm.

3. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The thing is, I don't even know which guitar he's talking about, and I haven't put one for sale for awhile. He must have found an old ad or something.

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You were a bit too specific in your original post, you should have said: "if anyone you do not know from Nigeria e-mails you about anything, its a scam." I know it's generalizing but I have yet to talk to ONE single person who has ever been involved in anything concerning Nigeria on the internet that wasn't a scam. I believe the Nigerian 411 scam must be the most profitable industry in the country. I can't find the link right now but there was a great site I found once that had logs of all of these people playing with the scammers and wasting their time. Some of them managed to get the crooks to send them some small amounts of money ( $5-$50) but most just like to get photos of them holding up signs that say hysterically funny things that the moderators would probably remove if I listed them here.

If I find the link I'll post it. It was DAYs of fun going through!!!!

5. Are you talking about the "Church of the Red Breast" guy who got the guy to pose for a photo with red paint on his chest? That was cool.

6. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea the Church of the Red Breast was on there allong with a huge pile of other stuff. I just can't get over reading that stuff and seeing the strange things you can tell these people and they play allong. I've baited a few myself, but I'm nowhere near the league those guys play in. One lady went online and found a store that had a webcam on the street across from the hotel. She "fell" for the whole story, "booked" a flight and hotel room and set up a time to meet them outside her hotel (in plane view of the webcam) then logged on at the agreed to time (while never leaving her house) and grabbed some screen shots of the guy standing on the street waiting to meet her. He even came back the next day after she explained some sort of mix up. She's my hero!!!

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  8. "Dear Mr. Hasam,

Great to hear from you. After the delay I was worried that something may have happened to you. Thank God that you are safe. I believe you have a lot of wonderful wild animals in your part of the world? I was worried that you may have been attacked by a Tyrannosaurus or something like that."

:D

"Perhaps maybe I can fly out and meet with you at a location we are both agreeable to. Pardon my ignorance (my geography is not too good) but is Nigeria anywhere near Disneyland? If it is, that would be great. I've always wanted to meet Pluto."

:D :D

Some of this stuff is brilliant!

9. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    THAT'S IT!!!! I LOVE THAT SITE!!!!!!!

It is absolutely amazing what they will write on a piece of paper and take their photos holding!!!

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I saw this on Tv. Must we all be so me to each other?

11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Do people ever actually fall for this stuff from the selling end?! When I first got it, I knew it was as scam... I just didn't know what KIND of scam it was. :eyebrow: :rollno:

12. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    go here and read about this guy that got this fake junkmail check in the mail and decided to cash it as a joke, to his surprise the check cashed

13. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I LOVE IT.I've only read the first couple of pages so far, but this guy is my hero for the next week or so at least!!!

14. Your hero wants me (and you) to pay him by Paypal before we're allowed see how the story ended. I don't think so.

15. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Not going to happen by me either, obviously haven't gotten that far into the story myslef yet but I'll read it as far as it's free, then maybe do a google search for any other info if I haven't found a new hero by then...

16. Wow, is he really making you pay now? The PayPal thing used to be optional and let you read the whole story anyways. I can't wait til his movie is released about it.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not to my knowledge. I read the whole thing last night. Theres a page where he stops and asks for a donation, but you click "next chapter" and you get the rest of the story.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm honestly thinking about the DVD. Looks like it's a riot.

19. Gah I'm an idiot. I didn't notice the final chapter link after the paypal page. :bag: Never mind...