Horizontal 2 Vertical

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eekum, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    So I recently bought a Carvin BRX-10.2 and I absolutely love it. My only gripe is that I like playing it vertically and not horizontally. However, running it like this, cosmetically bothers me for some reason and I would love to convert it over to a "vertical looking" cab. I will be running it stand alone pretty much all the time and when I need a little extra oomph, I would pair it with another BRX-10.2 (once I find another one). When I use the 2 of them, I will be stacking them vertically or side by side (both vertically).

Here is my question... Is it worth removing the drilled rubber feet on the bottom and drilling those onto one of the sides? Or would it be better to try and find some really strong stick on rubber feet? Drilling into a cabinet always makes me so nervous.

I would obviously move the logo to be visible in a vertical position, or remove it entirely.

Sanchan likes this.
  2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The secret to moving feet on a cabinet is to pull the driver from the front of the cabinet, so you can see what's inside the in the area where you want to put feet. If there's nothing in that area, drill away.

Wandering Bass likes this.
  3. I use the same cabinets, and also stack them vertically, 2 cabs high. Stick-on feet didn’t hold to the outer finish of the cab, I’ve used two different types. Screw ones have worked well.

I left the original feet on because the cabs ride in a car better horizontally, but they do look lame. Might still remove them.

Also, before you go to screw anything on stop and stack the cabs as you’d like them - check that the carved out logo on the cabinet side isn’t under where you want the foot, or your top cab will end up with a wobble. Fortunately I discovered that while using stick-ons.

Eekum likes this.
  4. I hate stick on rubber feet.
    Never had a set that didn't eventually start turning into goo.

How about adding new feet, and keeping the old ones where they are?
    Then you can go both ways.

5. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    I don’t think I would like the look of that to be honest.

Definitely, might try and find smaller screw in rubber feet. The ones that come on the cab are some big screws.

6. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Would you happen to have any pics of your rig? I would love to see it.

Also, have you ever ran one as a stand alone horizontally? I am curious as to how the sound disperses compared to a single one vertically.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Get over your aversion to the cosmetics of the vertically placed cabinet. When you do get a second cabinet, stacking it vertically on top of your first, for a vertical 4x10, is the way to go.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Gearhead17 likes this.
  8. This may sound silly, but when I stack 2 cabs where there aren't feet, I use a cheap cut up yoga mat in between them. Keeps them from moving and is pretty much invisible unless you use pink of something. Cosmetics don't bug me, but I am a huge believer in vertical 410s.

Plus, I now found a use for a yoga mat.

Gearhead17 and ELynx like this.
  9. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    That is actually a good idea.

I wish cosmetics didn't bug me but unfortunately they do. Part of me wants to just use the cabinet horizontally and not modify it at all but I know it sounds better vertically. The other part of me wants to just remove the old feet and slap them on a side. Remove the logo and call it a day. Vertical cab finished lol.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah once you find another one pop those feet off the bottom and put them on the side. I agree with taking out a speaker to make sure there's nothing going on inside where you want to drive a screw.

Then pop the logo off and have some grills made for the cabs (or make them yourself). I would personally leave the logo off. You could use stick on velcro to hold the grills in place too.

I too freak out if things don't "look right". The idea of a head wider than my cab (hanging off of each side when in use) makes me sweat to even think about. :D

Heck, just having the tweeter on one side and the port on the other would drive me nuts. I would have to put a grill over the whole thing. :laugh:
    carvin.jpg

11. There ya go. You can always try that first then mod if needed.

12. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Yeah, luckily my rack case has rubber feet on the bottom so it doesn't slide around at all but it does hang over the side of the cab when vertical. I personally like the look of the cabinet horizontally, I don't really notice a difference in sound between the two though, maybe it is because I haven't played out with it yet. I will probably remove the logo and leave it off. I bought some smaller screw on feet, for the side. I will install those and remove the large feet from the bottom. Any thoughts on filling the old feet holes? Would some black epoxy work?

Putting a new grill over the entire thing would be tough though, because there is a divider between the port and the speakers that I would have to shave down quite a bit for the grill to lay flat. I would love the look of that, but man that would be a lot of work.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    two fingers likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would think some black caulk would do just fine for the holes. Squirt a dab in there that over flows a little. Wet your finger and smooth off the extra, level with the surface.

14. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    I will give it a shot, I will post pics once I do these "mods" to it.

two fingers likes this.
  15. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Feet have been removed and smaller feet installed (Can’t see them because of the carpet). Next question is logo or no? I like them both but what do you guys think.

AAA8A56B-A15A-44EF-B12D-817AF872885A.jpeg
    -OR-
    A14C5527-E002-4D2F-A452-726049C02703.jpeg

16. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    They don't look too bad to me:D IMG_0112.JPG

Eekum likes this.
  17. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Yeah they do look good stacked...

Sanchan likes this.
  18. Eekum

Eekum

Mar 4, 2013
    Done with modding the cab. I am really digging the smaller feet I used and I actually like the logo. Holes on the side have been filled and look surprisingly good. What do you guys think?
    6DC86C50-9897-4B6C-9A87-91D708B2972F.jpeg

19. Looks ready to rock.

20. spatchthepunk

spatchthepunk

Jul 16, 2017
    Mpls MN
    Looking good I have a couple 210's that sound great vertical.The only thing i can't get over is my rack case hanging over the side.