1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how about 212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diesel'sOnBass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Diesel'sOnBass

Diesel'sOnBass

Jun 25, 2010
    i like the sound i get with 410 and a 115. i want to upgrade my sound altogether and have been strongly considering 210s and a 115. are 212s worth looking into?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    212s are worth looking into. But tone is not directly related to driver size, so the only way to be sure that a rig will give what you want is to try it.

3. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Certainly worth looking into.

I enjoy my Bergantino Ht112/ex stack. They are vertically arrayed for best dispersion, relatively light weight, and modular. i would suggest getting two separate but identical cabs instead of one 212 box though. Easier to carry and you have the option to bring just one.

Lots of options out there for 12s.

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I use a GK MB212 and I have to easily say its the best amp I have ever owned.

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    If you want to go one cab, the Genz Benz Neox 212T is the best stand alone 212 I have ever used, but a bit awkward to move with those top/side handles.

6. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    speak of this amp, does anyone know of a store in CT / RI / MA that actually has one in stock in the store so it might be tried out? I've called around to all the usual suspects and no one stocks good stuff in inventory in this economy. or so I am told.

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Funny, because I had two 112 cabs and I've just ordered a 212 for transport reasons! :)

I did keep one of my 112 cabs for small gigs, but I'd rather schlep one 70lb box than 2 40lb boxes.

8. I also have 2 Berg 1 x 12's ..... best cabs I've ever owned.

Light enough even the singer can carry one for me! And she's a girl!

(and she'd punch me if she knew I said that)

9. jimmy.timms

jimmy.timms

Dec 27, 2008
    I got a Bag End 212 about eight months ago and I love the cabinet. It holds it's own in stage volume (one guitarist has a Fender Twin and the other a Soldano Lucky 13) and the tone works for me. At seventy two pounds it isn't bad to move around either.

10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i love 12s...much better than 10s.

11. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Eden D212XLT is one of the best cabs I've ever heard.

12. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    What Bill said...But I love 12's. I also have a berg HT/EX stack and also an Epifani UL212 which sounds great and is super light weight.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Always stop in any 212 thread to exclaim the wonders of the Genz benz Uber 212, still my favorite ever small stand-alone cab. However, going from a 410/15 rig to a 2x12 will dramatically decrease your volume, just fyi.

14. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    just throwing the Aguilar GS112's out there as an option too. i've never played the Berg's because i've been so happy with the Aggy's. 2 of them (easily manageable in one trip) and a GS115 has been more then i've ever needed.

i also like 12's way more than 10's.

good luck!

15. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Epifani 212. Super easy to move around and it really thumps. Excellent sounding cabinet also at all ranges of volume.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've been gigging a Bergantino AE212 for the last couple weeks, I've been a happy man.

17. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    db212 by aguilar is my fav cab of all times!

18. Try Mr. Music in Boston.

19. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    I adore my Avatar B212NEO. Loads of sound and only 56 lbs!!!!

In CT there is G Guitars in New Haven.. Check them out.

20. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I love 12" speakers for bass. Years ago I had a 4X12 Vox cab that was just killer. Back then most bass amps had 15s, and the 12's were super punchy, but thicker than any of the 10's I've used since.

Then in the 80's I had a GK-800RB with an 18 and 2X12s.

I'm glad to see 12s making a comback.