1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How are danelectros on the road?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Newsom, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Dan Newsom

Dan Newsom

Nov 12, 2018
    Recently got to try a longhorn and I did NOT know they were so light. As great as this is, I’d wonder how they are on the road. Anyone have any imput?

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Absolutely no problems.I use a old Strat case for mine. Fits perfectly. Dependable as anything else. Don't let the light weight concern you.

Dan Newsom likes this.
  3. It probably depends on the individual instrument. A friend of mine used to run a vintage guitar shop (back when brick and mortar stores were more viable) and sold Danelectro basses and guitars, both new and old. Some of them were particularly finnecky, since my friend was quite particular about ensuring his guitars were set up well and would please prospective buyers who were picking them up off the shelf. I hasten to add that not all of them were beset with issues, but some of them were constantly in need of adjustment. I thought it might have been caused by temperature fluctations caused by customers opening the front doors and letting cold air into the warm shop. As such, I wouldn't have put a great deal of trust in those particular instruments for road use, but YMMV. I thought it was the thin neck and short scale combined with the cheap construction that caused it, the necks just seemed to be moving all the time.

Dan Newsom likes this.
  4. Dan Newsom

Dan Newsom

Nov 12, 2018
    How is it with pedals if I may ask? Also does it need constant set ups?

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Pedals? I Don’t use any.

6. Dan Newsom

Dan Newsom

Nov 12, 2018
    Oh ok. I use a tube screamer and wanted to see how something like that would be

7. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Despite the light weight Dano are tough little things . They don't break when they get knocked over . Mine is a first generation Korean re-issue . Neck is incredibly stable . Does not require any seasonal tweaking . Fun to play , sounds great . I always bring a back up bass , but it never gets taken out of the gigbag . The Longhorn has never let me down .

Dan Newsom likes this.
  8. Dan Newsom

Dan Newsom

Nov 12, 2018
    Thank you for the info! Do you use any pedals with it?

9. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Screamers work great, with passive basses at least.

10. Dan Newsom

Dan Newsom

Nov 12, 2018
    Screamer is one of the only pedals I use so that’s great to know because I’ve never even had an active bass (call me old fashioned)

11. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Dan , I plug straight into my amp . No pedals .

12. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Danelectros are a lot like Behringer gear: less durable than other things for the road but if you take care of them and baby them a smidge more than usual, they should do fine....ymmv, of course

Dan Newsom likes this.
  13. Dan Newsom

Dan Newsom

Nov 12, 2018
    You go simple huh? With my current setup I need a few pedals to get my sound