How big are 100w amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EatADeadGoat, Sep 3, 2010.

1. EatADeadGoat

EatADeadGoat

Aug 29, 2010
    So, I recently saved up a decent wad of cash and I'm looking for a 100w bass to buy. The only issue is, I have extremely limited space, and I'm not sure if I'd have enough room for one. On average, how large would you say they are? I've looked online, and they don't really go into the actual size of the amp, just the sound. There really are no guitar stores nearby, so that's not an option either. Thanks in advance.

2. Need more info; are you looking at combos or head+cabs? How many/what size speakers? Tube or SS?

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    About 10cc per watt. ;)
    Seriously, is this a joke post? If so you missed April Fools Day by 5 months. If not, you'll find the exact size and weight of just about every amp made on the manufacturer's websites.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There is no standard size, even when you narrow it down to just 100 watters. Also, speaker size is a better gauge of overall size.

5. My 900 watt head weighs 4lbs :p

6. You can get 300 watt amps that are smaller than 30 watt amps.

7. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    I have a 70-watt Line 6 practice amp with an 8" speaker that's approximately a one-foot-a-side cube. A 100-watt Ampeg B115 is roughly a two-feet-a-side cube. Most of the online music stores (GC, MF, Music123, ZZounds, etc.) show the specs, including size and weight, of their amps, as do the manufacturers' websites. You could also look for sound samples on YouTube before you buy.

Good luck with your search.

8. Tubes:My Peavey Windsor weighs around 40 lbs.

SS:My Acoustic 260 head weighs 7 lbs.

I don't get the post. What are you looking for?

9. The new GK combos are super light and pretty compact, but my Ampeg is heavier than an elephant's ****. Need more info on what kinda speaker setup you want. Ashdown makes a pretty small 100W too, if I recall...

10. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Forget the guys ragging on you. What you need to do is check out the amps available at the online stores llike Musician's Friend, Sweetwater.com and the like. An amp's weight and physical dimensions are almost always listed in the descriptions.

11. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    They're pretty big.

12. If you might not even have the space for an amplifier, perhaps you should look into a good headphone amp and a nice set of headphones. That is of course assuming you'd be using the amp for home practicing.

13. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    My 100-watt amp weighs about 60.:D

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021