1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I add mp3 input into a regular bass combo?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jack Clark, Oct 5, 2010.

1. I know that some combos like the Acoustic B20 and AB50 have dedicated 1/8" input jacks for mp3 and/or CD signals for play-along purposes, but many combos do not have this.

Just as an example, is there a way to input an mp3 signal into an AI Coda+ or similar combo?

2. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Run it right into the input jack using a 1/4" male to 1/8" female adapter. You can find them at Radio Shack. Your amp is Monaural so you will hear both Left & Right channels with no separation. You may have to run your MP3 player near maximum volume, too.

With a Y adapter, you could run the MP3 player & your Bass. Listen carefully for clipping which indicates amp overload & should be avoided.

Why not just run your MP3 player through a pair of self powered Computer Speakers? It's likely your MP3 files have rolled off the bass below 85 Hz anyway.

3. small recording mixer can be had for about $20 used.

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Plug it into your effects loop.

1. Buy a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono cable. Or if you use adapters make sure that you are also adapting from stereo to mono, not just 1/8" to 1/4".

2. Plug the 1/8" stereo plug into your mp3 player and the 1/4" mono plug into your fx return.

3. Adjust volume with either the a) mp3 player volume control and or b) the fx return blend/balance/volume control if you have one.

If you don't have an effects loop or if it is a series effects loop the mixer into your main input idea is your best bet. If you have a series fx loop you can go straight into the fx return more than likely bypassing the front end of the preamp.

The y cable will probably work but might not. If is works it might be the simplest and best solution for you.

:D

Joe.

5. Thanks to all three of you for the advice. I'm glad to know this can be done. And pretty easily, too, it seems. Now I don't feel like I need to find some special amp when I move up in power from the Acoustic AB50 practice combo I presently have.

(I had thought that my AB50 had a built-in defect as it made a very bad speaker buzz whenever I played G or Ab or A, but when I moved the combo to another room, that went away completely. Guess it was the physically-cramped position it was in in that other room. So I can make do with this AB50 for a while longer now.

Also, 251, it seems that the .mp3 files can go pretty low. When I make .mid files from Finale scores and convert them to either .mov files or .mp3 files, they seem to play notes well all the way down to E1 (41.2 Hz). (Probably below, too, I just haven't tried that.)

Thanks, again. Great to know. TB scores again!

6. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Well, that;s good to know. :cool:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021