1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How can you HATE a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WoodyG3, Aug 15, 2012.

1. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I've been reading for years on this board that this bass sucks, that bass sounds like *bleep*, I don't "get" how anyone would like this bass, and even I HATE this bass.

How can you hate a bass? It's like hating a puppy. It's like hating a bright orange sunset. It's like hating a nice cold drink on a summer day. :)

I really can't think of a bass I've picked up that I didn't get enjoyment from playing. If it sounds different, I think that's interesting and fun to play around with. If the feel of the neck, or string spacing, or other ergonomics are not to my liking, I look at it the same way as putting on a shoe that is the wrong size for me. I don't hate the shoe, and I know someone else will fit in it just fine. I don't curse the company that made the shoe, and I don't call into question the judgement of the people who do wear that shoe.

Of course I have my preferences, but picking up an inexpensive bass to see what it's got is fun. Looking over an expensive custom made bass to see the workmanship and interesting woods is fun. Finding an old bass with "history" is fun. I just don't get why anyone would hate any of these instruments. They are too much fun to pick up and play!

2. Dude, some people seriously hate puppies. My sister can't stand 'em.

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Maybe if your lady leaves you for one...

I feel the same way. I treat basses as though each one is an entirely different instrument, a different tool to be used in different situations. One may sound a certain way and have floppy strings with a short scale while another one sounds another way and has really stiff strings with a long scale.

Of course there are certain basses I like playing more than others. But I couldn't ever really say that I hated one...

4. VicKevlar

VicKevlar

Apr 15, 2012
  5. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    "How can you HATE a bass?"

Easy...just put the word "Gibson" on the headstock.

But that's just me

:)

6. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    And then I bought a Fender P-Bass and lived happily ever after....hahahaha!

Great video. :D

7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    the Gibson hate around here is just ridiculous
    :rollno:
    :confused:
    :meh:

8. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Agree. Almost every bass has a place and a time and a style of music it will fit with. Unless it's just poorly constructed enough to render it unplayable or in tune.

I HAVE hated being stuck with a bass in live playing situations where it just wasn't working. That's miserable, but usually MY fault for bringing the wrong knife to the gunfight.

9. Well, people don't actually "hate" a bass, it's just some models are their very least favorites, at the negative extreme of their bass appreciation spectrum. So, they use the word "hate" when the more appropriate would be "really not the one for me".

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I generally agree, but ...

If a bass can't play and stay in tune, I think it's worthy of some hate. :)

11. Haters gonna hate.....some people love to hate things.

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Excellent work there.

13. I hate Danelectros

And I have EVERY right to

14. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I know...:crying:

Mel Gibson

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I abhor the way lots of basses sound, but it's usually not the bass; it's usually the strings and/or the player.

As to basses I've hated, there was one with a warped neck, one that suffered from chronic neck-dive, one that weighed 12 pounds, one with a case of fret sprout so bad that I cut my left hand while playing, one with string spacing better suited to a mandolin, and one with a pre-amp that sounded mediocre no matter how the tone controls were set: someone may have found a few of them playable, but most were, IMHO, best suited for a bon fire. ;)

16. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Auburn California
    I see what you did there!

17. Hate the player, not the bass.

18. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Hatred of basses or equipment in general I believe most of the time comes from misinformed consumers.
    If someone who works at the local GC convinces some 14 year old that a Hofner is the best bass for metal, and this young and misinformed thrasher finds that slipknot covers sound awful on that bass, he will most likely have a predisposed hatred towards that bass. For no other reason than that it doesn't look and sound like the Soungear he should have bought.

19. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I ain't hatin', just playin'...I've owned a couple of Gibbys :)

20. The first electric bass I had was a Tiesco Del Ray in the early 60's. It was an awful bass. Bowed neck, terrible pickups, stiff tuners...didn't hate it.