1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do i get this tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drumandbass, Oct 14, 2009.

1. drumandbass

drumandbass

Jun 27, 2009
    Hey guys,

Any idea how I can achieve this particular tone.

The bass tone on Nickelback's Dark Horse album.

Particularly on the songs S.E.X, Burn it to the ground & something in your mouth.

If it helps, here's my chain.
    Bass > BOD > Mastotron > VT Bass

Bass is Fender P-Bass
    I figured my Trace Elliot T-Bass probably wont be able to achieve this sound. So decided to get a P-Bass for this. But still... Can't get that tone.

Thanks guys.

2. jackall237

jackall237

Aug 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    My advice is to do the same thing I would do.. Listen to the record and play my gear until my gear sounds like the record.. Just sayin..

3. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    I don't think you're going to get there with a P bass. Chad plays Spector basses and that's a big part of his sound. Peavey or Mesa amps (he's played both) and he's probably running a straight clean amp and a distored/overdriven amp mixed together over a few channels. Probably 3 tracks or so mixed together.

4. drumandbass

drumandbass

Jun 27, 2009
    That's what I do sometimes. But I can't to get anything close to that with my current gear.