Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Do I Plug My Mixer Into My Delta 44?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry for the dumb question, but the instruction manual for my Yamaha MG12/4 mixer is very unspecific, and the manual for my Delta 44 speaks of the issue but not on how to actually plug it in.

Here's a pic of the back panel of the Yamaha MG12/4
    [​IMG]

Can I run signals from four different channels of the mixer into each of the four inputs of the Delta 44? And once I can get a line (or lines) into the Delta 44, can I record as I usually do, or do I have to diable the mixer software that runs with the Delta 44? Thanks for your help in advance!

2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Hey I have the same desk!

You can run direct outs from the first 4 channels of the desk using the channel inserts. If i remember correctly you only have to insert a cable to the first 'click'. Not to sure about this, experiment to find out.

On the other hand you could use two of the channels of your sound card as sereo inputs and use the main stereo bus on the desk.

All software which you are using with your sound card can be continued to be used, the desk is not digital so no conflicting program worries.

Hope this helps.

Matt

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Matt,
    I've tried doing a direct out with a cable at the first and second click (I have a XLR input going into it from the back of my Sansamp RBI), and I'm not getting any signal on my recording program so far . Maybe I'm supposed to have a button or two pressed that aren't so far.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The desks I've used with insert i/o's are usually TRS connectors, and the manuals don't usually explain it very well, so here's my plain-english attempt.....

Background - With a stereo cable (one with 2 black rings), the i/o can actually function as the both send AND return. It's usually the case that the the tip of the cable acts as the "send", and the ring acts as a "return". I may have that back to front so check the manual. That's how you'd insert an effect or EQ or compressor.......

You need to find out how to activate the "send" part of that, effectively tricking the desk into sending that channel out to your Delta 44.

With that in mind, go back to the manual and hopefully some of the gibberish about "half clicking" etc will make more sense.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, Petebass. I posted the same question on HomeRecordingBBS last night, and someone over there pointed out as well that I needed to use TRS cables instead of the standard 1/4" mono and plug them in to the first click. I ordered a few TRS cables this morning, so I'll let you guys know how everything worked out in a few days when they get here.

6. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Damn, knew i forgot to mention something lol.

Sorry if my interpritation of 'half clicking' didnt work lol, i knew that there was someone who could explain things a little better.

Have fun

Matt

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That may help in this case, but I doubt it. I just downloaded the manual for your mixer. The diagram shows that the insert is TRS, with tip as send and ring as return. For recording, you should usually be able to just plug in a standard 1/4 plug all the way when tip is the send. Half-clicking is used when you still need to use the rest of the mixer as well. Half-clicking avoids engaging the switch in the jack that cuts the send-->return connection when you insert EFX or EQ. That's useful when you want to record and do a separate live mix at the same time, for example.

For recording normally you're just trying to use the mike preamps, bypasssing everything else. If you want to use the channel EQ on the board, normally you use some other routing scheme. The Mackie 1202VLZ manual explains this very clearly, you might download that.

Try this: run your bass into channel 1 as usual. Make sure the mute button is not engaged. :cool: Plug a standard 1/4" cable all the way into the channel 1 insert I/O jack, and return the other end of the cable to channel 2's line input. Bring your faders to 0dB and monitor the output of the mixer while playing your bass. Are you seeing output now? If so, your problem is on the soundcard/software side.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Where would I run an out from the mixer to the Delta 44 if I'm running the I/O back into the mixer?

9. Passinwind

You wouldn't necessarily, I was just proposing a test of the insert jack wiring, using your LED monitor to tell you if signal's coming out of the I/O jack. If that works, you could try running an aux from channel two, or a main out or control out, into the soundcard input. Have you had success just running from the main out into the card?

Oh, yeah: try half-clicking at the soundcard end just for the heck of it too.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you mean just to see if the mixer is receiveing signal, it does work plugging a cable into the I/O up to the first click and turning on the prefader listen (this was with the way I had it set up to go originally, not the way you suggested)- the level meters and gain light all respond to the bass and such.

I'll try your method today. I haven't had time to mess with the mixer since the day I got it, but I should be able to later on today. Thanks :) The TRS cables should be here tomorrow or Saturday, so I'll know whether or not they help then.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, I got my TRS cables today, and everything appears to be working fine now. I have XLR outs from my Sansamp preamp and my mic going into the mixer, and I have TRS cable going from the I/Os of the first two channels of the mixer into my Delta 44.

The I/Os work whether the TRS cables are pushed in all the way or just to the first click- the difference is that when it's only pushed in to the first click, you can monitor your levels on the mixer, and when they're in all the way you can't. The I/Os run pre-fader, correct? The faders don't have any effect the way I have it set up right now, so I imagine they bypass the fader.

12. Passinwind

Yeah, they're almost always pre-fader, which generally is what you'r prefer for recording. The less stuff in the signal chain, the better.

Glad things worked out for you. Some balancing formats or insert configurations are "picky" about grounding with a mono plug, sounds like your board (or maybe the Delta) is one of those. I've run into that a few times mixing on unfamiliar club systems. That's one reason I always carry a few spare cables and jacks, and a soldering iron. :cool:

13. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.