Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I score high on Google?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Hey everyone, if I have a small business and I want it to show up on the top of the list on Google, what do I need to do? Does any one have tips for ranking high?

2. You gots to payyyyy!!!!!

Google is in buisness for one reason, make money. Go to goole advertising and find out the rates. My wife just recently consulted for a start-up internet company and they paid through the nose to come up as the first hit for relevent searches. The more you pay the higher you go. Thats why if you type in "Chevy" Chevrolet.com comes up first, not Joes Garage.

Good luck

3. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    If you want immediate Google placing, yeah, you have to pay.
    See here: https://adwords.google.com/select/
    The more competitive the product/service etc., the more you'll have to pay to see a prominent ad. If you're lucky enough to be promoting something that others aren't, then you'll pay less because you won't be competing with other ad buyers who may have budgeted more for their ads.

If you're talking about good old fashioned, non paid, page rankings, you'll definitely want a descriptive domain name with a .com address. That is, if you sell blue widgets, you should own bluewidgets.com. Of course, that's the nutshell version.....

Tom

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If you can come up with a unique 2 to 3 word description for your company/product/service that sticks in the head of your potential customers, that should get you to the top of search results for that catchphrase.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a few friends that refuse to play...

google "meta tags" and then do some research on free websites that will help you boost your rankings with a lot of search engines...this won't happen over night....

if you want over night, then yes, you will have to pay!! :D

good luck
    :)

6. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Google have put a *lot* of work into making sure that bumping your ranking is very difficult.

They actually mark a page's rank down if they catch it trying to artifically boost its ranking (i.e. by having white text on a while background, hidden or tiny text, keyword spamming).

A huge part of their page ranking system is based on links to your site rather than links from your site, making it tough for you to do anything about.

If Microsoft, Apple and Yahoo all had links to your website from their front pages, you'd get a huge ranking increase as they're ranked very highly (they have a ton of links from reputable sites pointing to them).

If you paid 100 dodgy sites to put your URL in their websites, you'd barely get any increase in ranking at all, as those sites would be rated low or negatively.

Best way to do well is have a nice clean well designed site, with lots of relevant keywords, you can find tons of info on google about how to do this.

7. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    make millions of free websites and put links to your page on them. Then put links from all the free websites you made to each other. Then somehow get google to index all of your free websites as well as your real site. The way webcrawlers work is they go to a page and make a list of all the hyperlinks in that page. They then visit each of those pages and add to the list all the pages on each of those pages. Eventually, you will index the entire internet. Google ranks pages by number of links from other pages to your page as well as paid advertising. By having a whole bunch of pages that all link to each other, they will all appear to be more popular. By then having them all link to your page, your page will appear to be popular. Another interesting thing about the net that not many people know about is something called robot exclusion protocols. Every page on the net has a file called robots.txt in its root directory. It tells webcrawlers what they can and can't do when indexing a site. Just look at this one : http://www.talkbass.com/robots.txt

My last project in my algorithms and data structures class was to write a search engine, so I know a good bit about these things :)

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :eek:

woo hoo!!!! sweet!!

:)